Seize the Moments: Approximating American Option Prices in the GARCH Framework
AbstractThis paper proposes an efficient approach to compute the prices of American style options in the GARCH framework. Rubinstein's (1998) Edgeworth tree idea is combined with the analytical formulas for moments of the cumulative return under GARCH developed in Duan et al. (1999, 2002) to yield a simple recombining binomial tree for option valuation in the GARCH context. Since the resulting tree is univariate, the proposed approach represents a convenient approximation of the bivariate GARCH system. Numerical analyses are used to demonstrate the speed and accuracy of the proposed approximation.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series Finance with number 0206005.
Length: 15 pages
Date of creation: 30 Jun 2002
Date of revision:
Note: Type of Document - PDF; pages: 15
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://126.96.36.199
American Options; Edgeworth binomial tree; Garch process;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G - Financial Economics
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2002-07-31 (All new papers)
- NEP-ETS-2002-07-31 (Econometric Time Series)
- NEP-FIN-2002-07-31 (Finance)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nelson, Daniel B, 1991. "Conditional Heteroskedasticity in Asset Returns: A New Approach," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(2), pages 347-70, March.
- Jin-Chuan Duan & Jean-Guy Simonato, 1995. "Empirical Martingale Simulation for Asset Prices," CIRANO Working Papers 95s-43, CIRANO.
- Duan, Jin-Chuan & Simonato, Jean-Guy, 2001. "American option pricing under GARCH by a Markov chain approximation," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 25(11), pages 1689-1718, November.
- Robert F. Engle & Victor K. Ng, 1991.
"Measuring and Testing the Impact of News on Volatility,"
NBER Working Papers
3681, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Engle, Robert F & Ng, Victor K, 1993. " Measuring and Testing the Impact of News on Volatility," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 48(5), pages 1749-78, December.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1986.
"Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 307-327, April.
- Tim Bollerslev, 1986. "Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity," EERI Research Paper Series EERI RP 1986/01, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Peter Ritchken & Rob Trevor, 1999. "Pricing Options under Generalized GARCH and Stochastic Volatility Processes," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 54(1), pages 377-402, 02.
- Jarrow, Robert & Rudd, Andrew, 1982. "Approximate option valuation for arbitrary stochastic processes," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(3), pages 347-369, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.