Relative Efficiency with Equivalence Classes of Asymptotic Covariances
AbstractWhite's (1984) concept of asymptotic variance is shown to allow some ambiguities when used to study asymptotic efficiency. These ambiguities are resolved with some mild conditions on the estimators being studied, because then White's asymptotic variance is an equivalence class in which efficiency conclusions are invariant across members of the class. Among the extant efficiency definitions, the liminf-based definition (White 1994, p. 136) is most informative even though identical conclusions can be obtained under our conditions with earlier definitions, but there are still some notions of efficiency allowed by White's asymptotic variance that can only be detected by weaker efficiency definitions.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series Econometrics with number 9805001.
Length: 19 pages
Date of creation: 13 May 1998
Date of revision:
Note: 19 pages (title page, 18 numbered pages, 5 page appendix, references), Tex .dvi file
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://220.127.116.11
Other versions of this item:
- Mandy, D. M. & Martins-Filho, Carlos, 1998. "Relative efficiency with equivalence classes of asymptotic covariances," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 88(1), pages 79-98, November.
- C10 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - General
- C13 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Estimation: General
- C50 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:cup:etheor:v:9:y:1993:i:4:p:633-48 is not listed on IDEAS
- Bates, Charles E. & White, Halbert, 1993. "Determination of Estimators with Minimum Asymptotic Covariance Matrices," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 9(04), pages 633-648, August.
- White, Halbert, 1982. "Instrumental Variables Regression with Independent Observations," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(2), pages 483-99, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.