Exact Distribution of the Least Squares Estimator in a First- Order Autoregressive Model
AbstractThis paper investigates the finite sample distribution of the least squares estimator of the autoregressive parameter in a first-order autoregressive model. Uniform asymptotic expansion for the distribution applicable to both stationary and nonstationary cases is obtained. Accuracy of approximation to the distribution by a first few terms of this expansion is then investigated. It is found that the leading term of this expansion approximates well the distribution. The approximation is, in almost all cases, accurate to the second decimal place throughout the distribution. Only rarely the accuracy improves by including further term beyond the first term of this expansion in the approximation. As a matter of fact, often the accuracy of such an approximation with additional term(s) deteriorates. An application of the finding is illustrated with examples.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series Econometrics with number 9604001.
Length: 22 pages
Date of creation: 03 Apr 1996
Date of revision:
Note: Type of Document - Binary WordPerfect (V5.1) Document; prepared on IBM PC - Compatible; to print on HP LaserJet II; pages: 22. Contains many special characters and equations created with WordPerfect's Equation Editor. Conversion to other formats may cause problems.
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://188.8.131.52
Unit Root; Saddlepoint Approximation; Asymptotic Expansion;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C12 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Hypothesis Testing: General
- C13 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Estimation: General
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models &bull Diffusion Processes
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Peter C.B. Phillips & Pierre Perron, 1986.
"Testing for a Unit Root in Time Series Regression,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
795R, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised Sep 1987.
- Phillips, P.C.B., 1986. "Testing for a Unit Root in Time Series Regression," Cahiers de recherche 8633, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Tom Doan, . "PPUNIT: RATS procedure to perform Phillips-Perron Unit Root test," Statistical Software Components RTS00160, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Evans, G B A & Savin, N E, 1981. "Testing for Unit Roots: 1," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(3), pages 753-79, May.
- Perron, P., 1987.
"The Calculation of the Limiting Distribution of the Least Squares Estimator in Near-Integrated Model,"
Cahiers de recherche
8748, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Perron, Pierre, 1989. "The Calculation of the Limiting Distribution of the Least-Squares Estimator in a Near-Integrated Model," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 5(02), pages 241-255, August.
- Francis X. Diebold & Marc Nerlove, 1988. "Unit roots in economic time series: a selective survey," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 49, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Phillips, Peter C B, 1977. "Approximations to Some Finite Sample Distributions Associated with a First-Order Stochastic Difference Equation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 45(2), pages 463-85, March.
- Perron, P. & Phillips, P.C.B., 1986.
"Does Gnp Have a Unit Root? a Reevaluation,"
Cahiers de recherche
8640, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Cryer, Jonathan D. & Nankervis, John C. & Savin, N.E., 1989. "Mirror-Image and Invariant Distributions in ARMA Models," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 5(01), pages 36-52, April.
- Dickey, David A & Fuller, Wayne A, 1981. "Likelihood Ratio Statistics for Autoregressive Time Series with a Unit Root," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(4), pages 1057-72, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.