Economic Development and Strikes: An Examination of the Haas and Stack Model
AbstractThe evidence presented by Haas and Stack (1983) suggests that a parabolic relationship exists between a nation's level of industrialization and the strike activity among its labor force. Their model is tested using data from a different time period. Criticisms of the original model, including problems of heteroskedasticity, autocorrelation and multicollinearity, are addressed here. The findings of this study support only marginally the conclusions reached by Haas and Stack, in that the relationship is confirmed to be curvilinear.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series Development and Comp Systems with number 9612001.
Length: 14 pages
Date of creation: 10 Dec 1996
Date of revision:
Note: Type of Document - Word 7.0; prepared on IBM PC Pentium running Windows95; to print on HP laserjet 4; pages: 14; figures: none
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://184.108.40.206
industrialization; strike activity;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O10 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Albert Rees, 1952. "Industrial Conflict and Business Fluctuations," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 60, pages 371.
- Farber, Henry S, 1978. "Bargaining Theory, Wage Outcomes, and the Occurrence of Strikes: An Econometric Analysis," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 68(3), pages 262-71, June.
- White, Halbert, 1980. "A Heteroskedasticity-Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator and a Direct Test for Heteroskedasticity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(4), pages 817-38, May.
- Greenberg, Edward, 1980. "Finite Sample Moments of a Preliminary Test Estimator in the Case of Possible Heteroscedasticity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(7), pages 1805-13, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.