The Role of Social Capital in Economic Development. Investigating the Causal Nexus through Structural Equations Models
AbstractThis paper carries out an empirical assessment of the causal nexus connecting social capital’s diverse aspects to the “quality” of economic development in Italy. The analysis accounts for three main social capital dimensions (i.e. bonding, bridging and linking social capital) and measures them through synthetic indicators built by means of principal component analyses performed on a dataset including multiple variables. The quality of development is measured through human development and indicators of the state of health of urban ecosystems, public services, social protection, gender equality, and labour markets. The causal relationship between social capital’s and development’s different dimensions is then assessed through structural equations models. The analysis in this paper provides relevant a proof of Putnam’s claims on the positive role of civil society organizations in development processes.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series Development and Comp Systems with number 0512010.
Length: 30 pages
Date of creation: 11 Dec 2005
Date of revision:
Note: Type of Document - pdf; pages: 30
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://188.8.131.52
Social capital; Social networks; Civil Society; Economic development; Social quality; Labour precariousness; Structural Equations Modelling;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2005-12-20 (All new papers)
- NEP-SOC-2005-12-20 (Social Norms & Social Capital)
- NEP-URE-2005-12-20 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Fabio Sabatini, 2006.
"The Empirics of Social Capital and Economic Development: A Critical Perspective,"
2006.15, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Sabatini Fabio, 2007. "The empirics of social capital and economic development: A critical perspective," wp.comunite 0031, Department of Communication, University of Teramo.
- D'Angelo, Emanuela & Lilla, Marco, 2007. "Is there more than one linkage between Social Network and Inequality?," IRISS Working Paper Series 2007-12, IRISS at CEPS/INSTEAD.
- Wolz, Axel & Fritzsch, Jana & Buchenrieder, Gertrud & Nedoborovskyy, Andriy, 2008. "Market Integration of Household Plots in Ukraine - The Impact of Social Capital," 2008 International Congress, August 26-29, 2008, Ghent, Belgium 43842, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.