Have Price Policies Damaged LDC Agricultural Productivity?
AbstractThis paper examines agricultural policies in 18 developing countries over the period 1961-1985. We measure productivity with both a nonparametric Malmquist index and a production function, confirming previous findings of declining agricultural productivity, but with sufficident inconsistencies as to raise concern about the adequacy of the methods. We nontehless find considerable support for the hypothesis that unfavorable price policies have damaged agricultural performance in these countries.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series Development and Comp Systems with number 0502020.
Length: 7 pages
Date of creation: 28 Feb 2005
Date of revision:
Note: Type of Document - pdf; pages: 7. Contemporary Economic Policy, vol. 17, No 4, Oct. 1999, 469-475
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://18.104.22.168
Agricultural productivity; developing countries; price policies;
Other versions of this item:
- Lilyan E. Fulginiti & Richard K. Perrin, 1999. "Have Price Policies Damaged Ldc Agricultural Productivity?," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 17(4), pages 469-475, October.
- O4 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity
- Q1 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2005-04-16 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2005-04-16 (All new papers)
- NEP-EFF-2005-04-16 (Efficiency & Productivity)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Perrin, Richard K., 1999.
"Intellectual property rights and developing country agriculture,"
Agricultural Economics: The Journal of the International Association of Agricultural Economists,
International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 21(3), December.
- Perrin, Richard K., 1999. "Intellectual property rights and developing country agriculture," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 21(3), pages 221-229, December.
- Tim J. Coelli & D. S. Prasada Rao, 2005.
"Total factor productivity growth in agriculture: a Malmquist index analysis of 93 countries, 1980-2000,"
International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 32(s1), pages 115-134, 01.
- Tim J. Coelli & D.S. Prasada Rao, 2003. "Total Factor Productivity Growth in Agriculture: A Malmquist Index Analysis of 93 Countries,1980-2000," CEPA Working Papers Series WP022003, School of Economics, University of Queensland, Australia.
- Nin, Alejandro & Arndt, Channing & Preckel, Paul V., 2003. "Is agricultural productivity in developing countries really shrinking? New evidence using a modified nonparametric approach," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 71(2), pages 395-415, August.
- Zuniga Gonzalez, Carlos Alberto, 2011. "Total Factor Productivity Growth in Agriculture: A Malmquist Index Analysis of 14 Countries, 1979-2008," Conference Papers 114036, National Autonomous University of Nicaragua, León (Unan-León), Researching Center for Applied Economics (RCAE).
- Nin Pratt, Alejandro & Yu, Bingxin, 2008.
"An updated look at the recovery of agricultural productivity in Sub-Saharan Africa:,"
IFPRI discussion papers
787, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Nin Pratt, Alejandro & Yu, Bingxin, 2009. "An Updated Look at the Recovery of Agricultural Productivity in Sub-Saharan Africa," 2009 Conference, August 16-22, 2009, Beijing, China 51731, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Olper, Alessandro & Raimondi, Valentina & Bertoni, Danilo & Cavicchioli, Daniele, 2013.
"Patterns and Determinants of Off-Farm Migration: Transfer frictions and persistency of relative income gaps,"
144006, Factor Markets, Centre for European Policy Studies.
- Olper, Alessandro & Raimondi, Valentina & Bertoni, Danilo & Cavicchioli, Daniele, 2013. "Patterns and Determinants of Off-Farm Migration: Transfer frictions and persistency of relative income gaps," Factor Markets Working Papers 146, Centre for European Policy Studies.
- Zuniga Gonzalez, Carlos Alberto, 2012. "Total factor productivity and Bio Economy effects," MPRA Paper 49355, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 13 Nov 2012.
- Benjamin N. Dennis & Talan Iscan, 2007. "Agricultural Distortions, Structural Change, and Economic Growth: A Cross-Country Analysis," Department of Economics at Dalhousie University working papers archive distort35, Dalhousie, Department of Economics.
- Alene, Arega D., 2009. "Productivity growth and the effects of R&D in African agriculture," 2009 Conference, August 16-22, 2009, Beijing, China 51436, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.