An Evaluation Of Post-Independence Agricultural Policies In Relation To Economic Development In Nigeria(1960 - 1987}
AbstractAGRICULTURE IN ITS COMMON PARLENCE INCLUDES PRODUCTION, RESEARCH AND TRAINING IN THE FIELDS OF CROPS, FORESTRY, FISHING AND LIVESTOCK. NIGERIAN AGRICULTURE WAS CHARACTERIZED BY LOW FARM INCOMES; LOW CAPACITY LEVEL TO SATISFY FOOD AND FIBRE NEEDS OF THE COUNTRY, AND PRIMITIVE TECHNIQUES OF PRODUCTION. YET, THERE WAS LITTLE CONSENSUS WITH RESPECT TO THE MOST APPROPRIATE STRATEGY FOR SECURING INCREASED FARM OUTPUT AND PRODUCTIVITY IN AN UNDERDEVELOPED AGRICULTURE. THIS PAPER THEREFORE ARGUED THAT CAREFUL PLANNING,SCIENTIFIC FORECASTING AND IMPROVED IMPLEMENTATION MECHANISM ARE FACTORS WHICH WILL YIELD THE NATION MORE DIVIDEND THAN MERE STATEMENTS, PROMISES AND STRATEGIES.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series Development and Comp Systems with number 0501001.
Length: 20 pages
Date of creation: 03 Jan 2005
Date of revision:
Note: Type of Document - pdf; pages: 20. THIS IS A PREVIOUS RESEARCH FOR PUBLIC ACCESS
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://184.108.40.206
AGRICULTURE; ECONOMY; NIGERIA; GREEN REVOLUTION PROGRAMME; OPERATION FEED THE NATION; CREDIT; FINANCE; POLICIES; DEVELOPMENT; POST- INDEPENDENCE;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- Q10 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - General
- Q18 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agricultural Policy; Food Policy
- O13 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Agriculture; Natural Resources; Environment; Other Primary Products
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AFR-2005-01-09 (Africa)
- NEP-ALL-2005-01-09 (All new papers)
- NEP-HIS-2005-01-09 (Business, Economic & Financial History)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.