Issues In The Development Of An Estimable Dynamic Model Of Recreation Behavior
AbstractStatic travel cost models have been only partially successful in modeling the sequential aspects of a recreation decision like the decision to fish. In this paper we describe a dynamic structural model of the decision to visit a recreation site. The model is best described as a dynamic multinomial logit model. By virtue of its dynamic nature, the model avoids the problem of the independence of irrelevant alternatives that afflicts static multinomial logit models. Welfare effects of changes in site quality are easily calculated via dynamic programming.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Wisconsin Madison, AAE in its series Staff Papers with number 387.
Date of creation: Oct 1995
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: University of Wisconsin, Dept. of Agricultural and Applied Economics, 427 Lorch Street, Madison, WI 53706
Web page: http://www.aae.wisc.edu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bockstael, Nancy E. & McConnell, Kenneth E. & Strand, Ivar E., Jr., 1989. "A Random Utility Model for Sportfishing: Some Preliminary Results for Florida," Marine Resource Economics, Marine Resources Foundation, vol. 6(3).
- repec:att:wimass:9106 is not listed on IDEAS
- Rust, John, 1987. "Optimal Replacement of GMC Bus Engines: An Empirical Model of Harold Zurcher," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(5), pages 999-1033, September.
- Zvi Eckstein & Kenneth I. Wolpin, 1989. "The Specification and Estimation of Dynamic Stochastic Discrete Choice Models: A Survey," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 24(4), pages 562-598.
- Morey, Edward R. & Shaw, W. Douglass & Rowe, Robert D., 1991. "A discrete-choice model of recreational participation, site choice, and activity valuation when complete trip data are not available," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 181-201, March.
- Milon, J. Walter, 1988. "Travel Cost Methods For Estimating The Recreational Use Benefits Of Artificial Marine Habitat," Southern Journal of Agricultural Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 20(01), July.
- Fafchamps, Marcel, 1993. "Sequential Labor Decisions under Uncertainty: An Estimable Household Model of West-African Farmers," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 61(5), pages 1173-97, September.
- Provencher Bill, 1995. "Structural Estimation of the Stochastic Dynamic Decision Problems of Resource Users: An Application to the Timber Harvest Decision," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 321-338, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.