Risk Aversion, Prudence and Temperance : A Unified Approach
AbstractRisk aversion can be defined either by the negative sign of the second derivative of the utility function or by the rejection of any mean-preserving increase in risk. The more recent notions of prudence and temperance have so far been defined exclusively by the sign of the third and the fourth derivative of the utility function. In this paper we show that, as risk aversion, prudence and temperance can also be interpreted as systematic attitudes towards transformation of a density function.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Risk and Insurance Archive in its series Working Papers with number 006.
Date of creation: Jul 1994
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
risk aversion; prudence; temperance.;
Other versions of this item:
- Eeckhoudt, Louis & Gollier, Christian & Schneider, Thierry, 1995. "Risk-aversion, prudence and temperance: A unified approach," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 48(3-4), pages 331-336, June.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Menezes, C & Geiss, C & Tressler, J, 1980. "Increasing Downside Risk," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(5), pages 921-32, December.
- Kimball, Miles S, 1990.
"Precautionary Saving in the Small and in the Large,"
Econometric Society, vol. 58(1), pages 53-73, January.
- Miles S. Kimball, 1989. "Precautionary Saving in the Small and in the Large," NBER Working Papers 2848, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Miles S. Kimball, 1991.
"Standard Risk Aversion,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0099, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ormiston, Michael B. & Schlee, Edward E., 1992. "Necessary conditions for comparative statics under uncertainty," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 40(4), pages 429-434, December.
- Eeckhoudt, Louis & Gollier, Christian & Schlesinger, Harris, 1996.
"Changes in Background Risk and Risk-Taking Behavior,"
Econometric Society, vol. 64(3), pages 683-89, May.
- EECKHOUDT, Louis & Christian GOLLIER & Harris SCHLESINGER, 1994. "Changes in Background Risk and Risk Taking Behavior," Working Papers 005, Risk and Insurance Archive.
- Rothschild, Michael & Stiglitz, Joseph E., 1970. "Increasing risk: I. A definition," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 225-243, September.
- Gollier, Christian & John W. PRATT, 1993. "Weak Proper Risk Aversion And The Tempering Effect of Background Risk," Working Papers 018, Risk and Insurance Archive.
- Miles S. Kimball, 1991. "Precautionary Motives for Holding Assets," NBER Working Papers 3586, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cary Deck & Harris Schlesinger, 2010.
"Exploring Higher Order Risk Effects,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 77(4), pages 1403-1420.
- Bernard Sinclair-Desgagné & Marie-Cécile Fagart, 2004. "Auditing policies and information," Econometric Society 2004 North American Winter Meetings 86, Econometric Society.
- Christian Gollier, 2005.
"The Consumption-Based Determinants of the Term Structure of Discount Rates,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
1375, CESifo Group Munich.
- Gollier, Christian, 2004. "The Consumption-Based Determinants of the Term Structure of Discount Rates," IDEI Working Papers 296, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Alain Chateauneuf & Thibault Gajdos & Pierre-Henry Wilthien, 2002. "The Principle of Strong Diminishing Transfer," Post-Print halshs-00085936, HAL.
- Mehdi Farsi, 2008.
"Risk-Aversion and Willingness to Pay for Energy Efficient Systems in Rental Apartments,"
CEPE Working paper series
08-55, CEPE Center for Energy Policy and Economics, ETH Zurich.
- Farsi, Mehdi, 2010. "Risk aversion and willingness to pay for energy efficient systems in rental apartments," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(6), pages 3078-3088, June.
- Marie-Cécile Fagart & Bernard Sinclair-Desgagné, 2002.
"Auditing Policies and Information Systems in Principal-Agent Analysis,"
CIRANO Working Papers
- Marie-Cécile Fagart & Bernard Sinclair-Desgagné, 2002. "Auditing Policies and Information Systems in Principal-agent Analysis," Cahiers de recherche 02-02, HEC Montréal, Institut d'économie appliquée.
- Chateauneuf, A. & Gajdos, T. & Wilthien, P.-H., 1999.
"The Principle of Strong Kiminishing Transfer,"
Papiers d'Economie MathÃÂ©matique et Applications
1999-96, UniversitÃ© PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
- Alain Chateauneuf & Thibault Gajdos & Pierre-Henry Wilthien, 2002. "The Principle of Strong Diminishing Transfer," UniversitÃ© Paris1 PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00085936, HAL.
- Louis Eeckhoudt & Harris Schlesinger, 2005.
"Putting Risk in its Proper Place,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
1462, CESifo Group Munich.
- Menezes, Carmen F. & Wang, X.Henry, 2005.
"Increasing outer risk,"
Journal of Mathematical Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 41(7), pages 875-886, November.
- Patrick Roger, 2011. "Mixed risk aversion and preference for risk disaggregation: a story of moments," Theory and Decision, Springer, vol. 70(1), pages 27-44, January.
- Thierry Schneider & Caroline Schieber & Louis Eeckhoudt & Christian Gollier, 1997. "Economics of Radiation Protection: Equity Considerations," Theory and Decision, Springer, vol. 43(3), pages 241-251, November.
- Phuong Bui & David Crainich & Louis Eeckhoudt, 2005. "Allocating health care resources under risk: risk aversion and prudence matter," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(10), pages 1073-1077.
- Paulsson, Thomas & Sproule, Robert, 2002. "Stochastically dominating shifts and the competitive firm," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 141(1), pages 107-112, August.
- AMIR, Rabah & CZUPRYNA, Marcin, 2004. "On inverse utility and third-order effects in the economics of uncertainty," CORE Discussion Papers 2004045, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.