Risk Aversion, Prudence and Temperance : A Unified Approach
AbstractRisk aversion can be defined either by the negative sign of the second derivative of the utility function or by the rejection of any mean-preserving increase in risk. The more recent notions of prudence and temperance have so far been defined exclusively by the sign of the third and the fourth derivative of the utility function. In this paper we show that, as risk aversion, prudence and temperance can also be interpreted as systematic attitudes towards transformation of a density function.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Risk and Insurance Archive in its series Working Papers with number 006.
Date of creation: Jul 1994
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
risk aversion; prudence; temperance.;
Other versions of this item:
- Eeckhoudt, Louis & Gollier, Christian & Schneider, Thierry, 1995. "Risk-aversion, prudence and temperance: A unified approach," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 48(3-4), pages 331-336, June.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rothschild, Michael & Stiglitz, Joseph E., 1970. "Increasing risk: I. A definition," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 225-243, September.
- Miles S. Kimball, 1991. "Precautionary Motives for Holding Assets," NBER Working Papers 3586, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gollier, Christian & John W. PRATT, 1993. "Weak Proper Risk Aversion And The Tempering Effect of Background Risk," Working Papers 018, Risk and Insurance Archive.
- Miles S. Kimball, 1989.
"Precautionary Saving in the Small and in the Large,"
NBER Working Papers
2848, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kimball, Miles S, 1990. "Precautionary Saving in the Small and in the Large," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 58(1), pages 53-73, January.
- Menezes, C & Geiss, C & Tressler, J, 1980. "Increasing Downside Risk," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(5), pages 921-32, December.
- Eeckhoudt, Louis & Gollier, Christian & Schlesinger, Harris, 1996.
"Changes in Background Risk and Risk-Taking Behavior,"
Econometric Society, vol. 64(3), pages 683-89, May.
- EECKHOUDT, Louis & Christian GOLLIER & Harris SCHLESINGER, 1994. "Changes in Background Risk and Risk Taking Behavior," Working Papers 005, Risk and Insurance Archive.
- Kimball, Miles S, 1993.
"Standard Risk Aversion,"
Econometric Society, vol. 61(3), pages 589-611, May.
- Ormiston, Michael B. & Schlee, Edward E., 1992. "Necessary conditions for comparative statics under uncertainty," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 40(4), pages 429-434, December.
- Thierry Schneider & Caroline Schieber & Louis Eeckhoudt & Christian Gollier, 1997. "Economics of Radiation Protection: Equity Considerations," Theory and Decision, Springer, vol. 43(3), pages 241-251, November.
- Alain Chateauneuf & Thibault Gajdos & Pierre-Henry Wilthien, 2002.
"The Principle of Strong Diminishing Transfer,"
UniversitÃ© Paris1 PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers)
- Chateauneuf, A. & Gajdos, T. & Wilthien, P.-H., 1999. "The Principle of Strong Kiminishing Transfer," Papiers d'Economie MathÃÂ©matique et Applications 1999-96, UniversitÃ© PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
- Cary Deck & Harris Schlesinger, 2010.
"Exploring Higher Order Risk Effects,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 77(4), pages 1403-1420.
- Louis Eeckhoudt & Harris Schlesinger, 2006.
"Putting Risk in Its Proper Place,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 96(1), pages 280-289, March.
- EECKHOUDT, Louis & SCHLESINGER, Harris, . "Putting risk in its proper place," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1871, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Louis Eeckhoudt & Harris Schlesinger, 2005. "Putting Risk in its Proper Place," CESifo Working Paper Series 1462, CESifo Group Munich.
- AMIR, Rabah & CZUPRYNA, Marcin, 2004. "On inverse utility and third-order effects in the economics of uncertainty," CORE Discussion Papers 2004045, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Marie-Cécile Fagart & Bernard Sinclair-Desgagné, 2002.
"Auditing Policies and Information Systems in Principal-Agent Analysis,"
CIRANO Working Papers
- Marie-Cécile Fagart & Bernard Sinclair-Desgagné, 2002. "Auditing Policies and Information Systems in Principal-agent Analysis," Cahiers de recherche 02-02, HEC Montréal, Institut d'économie appliquée.
- X. Henry Wang & Carmen F. Menezes, 2004. "Increasing Outer Risk," Working Papers 0413, Department of Economics, University of Missouri, revised 23 Dec 2004.
- Gollier, Christian, 2004.
"The Consumption-Based Determinants of the Term Structure of Discount Rates,"
IDEI Working Papers
296, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Christian Gollier, 2005. "The Consumption-Based Determinants of the Term Structure of Discount Rates," CESifo Working Paper Series 1375, CESifo Group Munich.
- Menezes, Carmen F. & Wang, X.Henry, 2005. "Increasing outer risk," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(7), pages 875-886, November.
- Bernard Sinclair-Desgagné & Marie-Cécile Fagart, 2004. "Auditing policies and information," Econometric Society 2004 North American Winter Meetings 86, Econometric Society.
- Farsi, Mehdi, 2010.
"Risk aversion and willingness to pay for energy efficient systems in rental apartments,"
Elsevier, vol. 38(6), pages 3078-3088, June.
- Mehdi Farsi, 2008. "Risk-Aversion and Willingness to Pay for Energy Efficient Systems in Rental Apartments," CEPE Working paper series 08-55, CEPE Center for Energy Policy and Economics, ETH Zurich.
- Paulsson, Thomas & Sproule, Robert, 2002. "Stochastically dominating shifts and the competitive firm," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 141(1), pages 107-112, August.
- Phuong Bui & David Crainich & Louis Eeckhoudt, 2005. "Allocating health care resources under risk: risk aversion and prudence matter," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(10), pages 1073-1077.
- Patrick Roger, 2011. "Mixed risk aversion and preference for risk disaggregation: a story of moments," Theory and Decision, Springer, vol. 70(1), pages 27-44, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.