Asset and Liability Modeling for Participating Policies with Guarantees
AbstractWe study the problem of asset and liability management of participating insurance policies with guarantees. We develop a scenario optimization model for integrative asset and liability management, analyze the tradeoffs in structuring such policies, and study alternative choices in funding them. The nonlinearly constrained optimization model can be linearized through closed form solutions of the dynamic equations. Thus large-scale problems are solved with standard methods. We report on an empirical analysis of policies offered by Italian insurers. The optimized model results are in general agreement with current industry practices. However, some inefficiencies are identified and potential improvements are highlighted.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania in its series Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers with number 00-41.
Date of creation: Jul 2001
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 3301 Steinberg Hall-Dietrich Hall, 3620 Locust Walk, Philadelphia, PA 19104.6367
Web page: http://fic.wharton.upenn.edu/fic/
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Consiglio, Andrea & Cocco, Flavio & Zenios, Stavros A., 2008. "Asset and liability modelling for participating policies with guarantees," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 186(1), pages 380-404, April.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Grosen, Anders & Lochte Jorgensen, Peter, 2000.
"Fair valuation of life insurance liabilities: The impact of interest rate guarantees, surrender options, and bonus policies,"
Insurance: Mathematics and Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 37-57, February.
- Peter L›chte J›rgensen & Anders Grosen, . "Fair Valuation of Life Insurance Liabilities: The Impact of Interest Rate Guarantees, Surrender Options, and Bonus Policies," Management Working Papers 1999-1, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Sergio Siglienti, 2000. "Consequences of the Reduction of Interest Rates on Insurance," The Geneva Papers on Risk and Insurance - Issues and Practice, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 25(1), pages 63-77, January.
- Brennan, Michael J & Schwartz, Eduardo S, 1979. "Alternative Investment Strategies for the Issuers of Equity Linked Life Insurance Policies with an Asset Value Guarantee," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 52(1), pages 63-93, January.
- Brennan, Michael J. & Schwartz, Eduardo S., 1976. "The pricing of equity-linked life insurance policies with an asset value guarantee," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(3), pages 195-213, June.
- Boyle, Phelim P. & Hardy, Mary R., 1997. "Reserving for maturity guarantees: Two approaches," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 113-127, November.
- David F. Babbel & Craig Merrill, 1997. "Economic Valuation Models for Insurers," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 97-44, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Gülpinar, Nalan & Pachamanova, Dessislava, 2013. "A robust optimization approach to asset-liability management under time-varying investment opportunities," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 37(6), pages 2031-2041.
- Xie, Shuxiang, 2009. "Continuous-time mean-variance portfolio selection with liability and regime switching," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 148-155, August.
- Yao, Haixiang & Lai, Yongzeng & Li, Yong, 2013. "Continuous-time mean–variance asset–liability management with endogenous liabilities," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 52(1), pages 6-17.
- Kleinow, Torsten, 2009. "Valuation and hedging of participating life-insurance policies under management discretion," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 44(1), pages 78-87, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.