Some General Questions About Markets
AbstractMarkets are central institutions of Western societies and their main mechanism of coordination; however, we do not know much about their functioning. How are prices formed? By which ways do buyers and sellers meet? What kind of rule are necessary for markets to function? The purpose of this paper is analyze some aspects of market functioning, and to try to isolate mechanism by which this functioning may be determined by diverse institutional forms. A comparison of some markets for perishable goods and some financial and commodity markets allows to identify set of rules controlling their functioning. A preliminary result of this comparison is the characteristics of the traded good.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis in its series Working Papers with number ir98025.
Date of creation: May 1998
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: A-2361 Laxenburg
Web page: http://www.iiasa.ac.at/Publications/Catalog/PUB_ONLINE.html
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Steven N. Durlauf, 1996.
"Statistical Mechanics Approaches to Socioeconomic Behavior,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0203, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Steven N. Durlauf, 1996. "Statistical Mechanics Approaches to Socioeconomic Behavior," Working Papers 96-08-069, Santa Fe Institute.
- McAfee, R Preston & McMillan, John, 1987. "Auctions and Bidding," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 25(2), pages 699-738, June.
- Akerlof, George A, 1970. "The Market for 'Lemons': Quality Uncertainty and the Market Mechanism," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 84(3), pages 488-500, August.
- Dosi, Giovanni & Ermoliev, Yuri & Kaniovski, Yuri, 1994. "Generalized urn schemes and technological dynamics," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 1-19, January.
- Brian J Loasby, 1994. "Understanding Markets," Working Papers Series 94/4, University of Stirling, Division of Economics.
- Francesca Chiaromonte & Giovanni Dosi, 1999. "Modeling a Decentralized Asset Market: An Introduction to the Financial "Toy-Room"," LEM Papers Series 1999/02, Laboratory of Economics and Management (LEM), Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies, Pisa, Italy.
- F. Chiaromonte & G. Dosi, 1998. "Modeling a Decentralized Asset Market: An Introduction the Financial "Toy Room"," Working Papers ir98115, International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.