Searching the Efficient Frontier in Data Envelopment Analysis
AbstractIn this paper, we deal with the problem of searching the efficient frontier in Data Envelopment Analysis (DEA). Our aim is to show that the free aim approach developed to make a search on the efficient frontier in multiple objective programming can also be used in DEA. This kind of analysis is needed when among others a) a radial projection is not acceptable, b) there are restrictions on some input and output values, or c) a decision maker (DM) would like to make a decision making unit (DMU) with the most preferred input and output values. The search can be applied to CCR/BCC-models, input-oriented/output-oriented models, and to the models with extra constraints. To make a free search on the efficient frontier, we recommend the use of Pareto Race (Korhonen and Wallenius ) for this purpose. In Pareto Race, the DM may simply control the search with some function keys. The information is displayed to the DM as bar graphs and in numeric form. The search can be terminated at any time, the DM wishes. A numerical example is used to illustrate the approach.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis in its series Working Papers with number ir97079.
Date of creation: Oct 1997
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: A-2361 Laxenburg
Web page: http://www.iiasa.ac.at/Publications/Catalog/PUB_ONLINE.html
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Thanassoulis, E. & Dyson, R. G., 1992. "Estimating preferred target input-output levels using data envelopment analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 56(1), pages 80-97, January.
- Tarja Joro & Pekka Korhonen & Jyrki Wallenius, 1998. "Structural Comparison of Data Envelopment Analysis and Multiple Objective Linear Programming," Management Science, INFORMS, INFORMS, vol. 44(7), pages 962-970, July.
- R. D. Banker & A. Charnes & W. W. Cooper, 1984. "Some Models for Estimating Technical and Scale Inefficiencies in Data Envelopment Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, INFORMS, vol. 30(9), pages 1078-1092, September.
- P. Korhonen, 1998. "Multiple Objective Programming Support," Working Papers, International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis ir98010, International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Korhonen, Pekka J. & Laakso, Jukka, 1986. "A visual interactive method for solving the multiple criteria problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 277-287, February.
- Bogetoft, Peter & Nielsen, Kurt, 2002. "Internet Based Benchmarking," Unit of Economics Working papers, Royal Veterinary and Agricultural University, Food and Resource Economic Institute 24215, Royal Veterinary and Agricultural University, Food and Resource Economic Institute.
- Jahanshahloo, G.R. & Shirzadi, A. & Mirdehghan, S.M., 2009. "Finding strong defining hyperplanes of PPS using multiplier form," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 194(3), pages 933-938, May.
- Giovanni Fraquelli & Piercarlo Frigero & Fulvio Sugliano, 2001. "Competitività E Divari Di Efficienza Nell'Industria Italiana," CERIS Working Paper, Institute for Economic Research on Firms and Growth - Moncalieri (TO) 200101, Institute for Economic Research on Firms and Growth - Moncalieri (TO).
- T. Joro, 1998. "Models for Identifying Target Units in Data Envelopment Analysis: Comparison and Extension," Working Papers, International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis ir98055, International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis.
- P. Korhonen & A. Siljamaeki & M. Soismaa, 1998. "Practical Aspects of Value Efficiency Analysis," Working Papers, International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis ir98042, International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.