Labor Market Discrimination Against Men with Disabilities in the Year of the ADA
AbstractThis article presents the first estimates of labor market discrimination against men with disabilities in 1990, the year the ADA was passed. Using data from the 1990 SIPP, we compare nondisabled men to a group of men with impairments that elicit relatively little prejudice and a second group with impairments that elicit more prejudice. Men who are physically unable to work are excluded. We explicitly test for the linkage between prejudice and labor market discrimination. The results show that discrimination is more pronounced against men with impairments subject to more intense prejudice and that access to employment is a more serious problem than wage discrimination for both groups. The results imply that discrimination imposed large income losses on men with disabilities in 1990 and that the ADA has the potential to significantly improve the well-being of this newest minority group.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by East Carolina University, Department of Economics in its series Working Papers with number 9715.
Date of creation:
Date of revision:
Note: For a copy of the paper, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Brewster A-427, 10th Street, Greenville, NC 27858
Phone: (252) 328-6006
Fax: (252) 328-6743
Web page: http://www.econ.ecu.edu/wp/
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Marjorie L. Baldwin & William G. Johnson, 2000. "Labor Market Discrimination Against Men with Disabilities in the Year of the ADA," Southern Economic Journal, Southern Economic Association, vol. 66(3), pages 548-566, January.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Drydakis, Nick, 2013. "The Effect of Sexual Activity on Wages," IZA Discussion Papers 7529, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Nick Drydakis, 2010. "Health impairments and labour market outcomes," The European Journal of Health Economics, Springer, vol. 11(5), pages 457-469, October.
- Drydakis, Nick, 2011. "Roma Women in Athenian Firms: Do They Face Wage Bias?," IZA Discussion Papers 5732, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Choe, Chung, 2009. "Determinants of Labor Market Outcomes of Disabled Men Before and After the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990," IRISS Working Paper Series 2009-07, IRISS at CEPS/INSTEAD.
- Edward J. Schumacher & Marjorie L. Baldwin, 2000.
"The American with Disabilities Act and the Labor Market Experience of Workers with Disabilities: Evidence from the SIPP,"
0013, East Carolina University, Department of Economics.
- Edward J. Schumacher & Marjorie Baldwin, 2000. "The Americans with Disabilities Act and the Labor Market Experience of Workers with Disabilities: Evidence from the SIPP," JCPR Working Papers 178, Northwestern University/University of Chicago Joint Center for Poverty Research.
- BALDWIN Marjorie L. & CHOE Chung, 2010. "New Estimates of Disability-Related Wage Discrimination with Controls for Job Demands," CEPS/INSTEAD Working Paper Series 2010-14, CEPS/INSTEAD.
- Kevin Hollenbeck & Jean Kimmel, 2001. "The Returns to Education and Basic Skills Training for Individuals with Poor Health or Disability," Upjohn Working Papers and Journal Articles 01-72, W.E. Upjohn Institute for Employment Research.
- Kamal Lamichhane & Yasuyuki Sawada, 2009.
"Disability and Returns to Education in a Developing Country,"
CIRJE-F-645, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- Lamichhane, Kamal & Sawada, Yasuyuki, 2013. "Disability and returns to education in a developing country," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 37(C), pages 85-94.
- Rodríguez Álvarez, Vanesa, 2012. "El empleo de las personas con discapacidad en la gran recesión: ¿son los Centros Especiales de Empleo una excepción?/The employment of people with disabilities in the great recession: are the Shelt," Estudios de Economía Aplicada, Estudios de Economía Aplicada, vol. 30, pages 237-260, Abril.
- BALDWIN Marjorie L. & CHOE Chung, 2011.
"Estimates of Wage Discrimination Against Workers with Sensory Disabilities, with Controls for Job Demands,"
CEPS/INSTEAD Working Paper Series
- CHOE, Chung & BALDWIN, Marjorie, 2011. "Estimates of Wage Discrimination Against Workers with Sensory Disabilities, with Controls for Job Demands," MPRA Paper 36242, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Humer, Brigitte & Wuellrich, Jean-Philippe & Zweimüller, Josef, 2007. "Integrating Severely Disabled Individuals into the Labour Market: The Austrian Case," IZA Discussion Papers 2649, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Drydakis, Nick, 2013. "Bullying at School and Labour Market Outcomes," IZA Discussion Papers 7432, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.