Territorial Patterns of Innovation in Europe
AbstractThis paper investigates over the way in which regions innovate. The conceptual framework departs from the simple idea that scientific activities equates knowledge, assuming that the presence of local knowledge produced by research centers, universities and firms was a necessary and sufficient condition for increasing the innovative capacities in local firms, fed by local spillovers. In particular, the paradigmatic jump in interpreting regional innovation processes lies in a conceptual framework interpreting not a single phase of the innovation process, but the different modes of performing the different phases of the innovation process, highlighting the context conditions (internal and external to the region) that accompany each innovation pattern. The paper conceptually identifies different territorial patterns of innovation, and empirically test their existence in Europe. Interesting results emerge from the European territory, witnessing the existence of large differences in the territorial patterns of innovation. These results strongly support normative suggestions towards thematically/regionally focused innovation policies.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by European Regional Science Association in its series ERSA conference papers with number ersa11p1900.
Date of creation: Sep 2011
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Welthandelsplatz 1, 1020 Vienna, Austria
Web page: http://www.ersa.org
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-12-05 (All new papers)
- NEP-CSE-2011-12-05 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-EUR-2011-12-05 (Microeconomic European Issues)
- NEP-GEO-2011-12-05 (Economic Geography)
- NEP-INO-2011-12-05 (Innovation)
- NEP-SBM-2011-12-05 (Small Business Management)
- NEP-URE-2011-12-05 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- M. Foddi & S. Usai, 2012. "Regional innovation performance in Europe," Working Paper CRENoS 201221, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
- Manuela Natário & Ascensao Braga & Joao Couto & Teresa Tiago, 2012. "Estándares Territoriales de Innovación: Análisis de las Regiones de Portugal," Revista de Estudios Regionales, Universidades Públicas de Andalucía, vol. 3, pages 15-38.
- Miroslav Sipikal, 2013. "Tailoring Innovation Policies to Sectors and Regions – The Case of Slovakia," DANUBE: Law and Economics Review, European Association Comenius - EACO, issue 4, pages 277-291, December.
- Roberta CAPELLO, 2012. "Regional economics: theoretical achievements and challenges," Timisoara Journal of Economics, West University of Timisoara, Romania, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, vol. 5(18), pages 313â335.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gunther Maier).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.