Public School Efficiency Using Data Envelopment Analysis: An Empirical Application For Brazil
AbstractThis paper studies the educational efficiency as determined only by the variables directly controlled by the school, isolated from the influence of other environmental characteristics, such as studentâ€™s socioeconomic status, that might influence efficiency as well. An alternative application of Simar and Wilson (2007) two-stage DEAâ€™s approach is adopted using data from public schools in the basic education level from the Northeast Region of Brazil. The results have showed that the rank of efficiency becomes much more homogeneous after isolating from the effect of environmental variables as compared to the rank produced from a simple one-stage DEA.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by European Regional Science Association in its series ERSA conference papers with number ersa11p1594.
Date of creation: Sep 2011
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Welthandelsplatz 1, 1020 Vienna, Austria
Web page: http://www.ersa.org
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-12-05 (All new papers)
- NEP-CSE-2011-12-05 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-EDU-2011-12-05 (Education)
- NEP-EFF-2011-12-05 (Efficiency & Productivity)
- NEP-LAB-2011-12-05 (Labour Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Afonso, António & St. Aubyn, Miguel, 2005.
"Cross-country efficiency of secondary education provision: a semi-parametric analysis with non-discretionary inputs,"
Working Paper Series
0494, European Central Bank.
- Afonso, Antonio & St. Aubyn, Miguel, 2006. "Cross-country efficiency of secondary education provision: A semi-parametric analysis with non-discretionary inputs," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 476-491, May.
- António Afonso & Miguel St. Aubyn, 2005. "Cross-country Efficiency of Secondary Education Provision: a Semi-parametric Analysis with Nondiscretionary Inputs," Working Papers Department of Economics 2005/05, ISEG - School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, University of Lisbon.
- Fried, Harold O. & Lovell, C. A. Knox & Schmidt, Shelton S. (ed.), 1993. "The Measurement of Productive Efficiency: Techniques and Applications," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195072181.
- R. D. Banker & A. Charnes & W. W. Cooper, 1984. "Some Models for Estimating Technical and Scale Inefficiencies in Data Envelopment Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 30(9), pages 1078-1092, September.
- Simar, Leopold & Wilson, Paul W., 2007. "Estimation and inference in two-stage, semi-parametric models of production processes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 136(1), pages 31-64, January.
- Simar, L. & Wilson, P.W., .
"Sensitivity analysis of efficiency scores: how to bootstrap in nonparametric frontier models,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-1304, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Léopold Simar & Paul W. Wilson, 1998. "Sensitivity Analysis of Efficiency Scores: How to Bootstrap in Nonparametric Frontier Models," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 44(1), pages 49-61, January.
- SIMAR, Léopold & WILSON, Paul, 1995. "Sensitivity Analysis to Efficiency Scores : How to Bootstrap in Nonparametric Frontier Models," CORE Discussion Papers 1995043, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Maria Sousa & Borko Stošić, 2005. "Technical Efficiency of the Brazilian Municipalities: Correcting Nonparametric Frontier Measurements for Outliers," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 24(2), pages 157-181, October.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gunther Maier).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.