Analyzing Intra-Distribution Dynamics: A Reappraisal
AbstractIn this paper we suggest an alternative estimator and an alternative graphical analysis, both developed by Hyndman et al. (1996), to describe the law of motion of cross-sectional distributions of per-capita income and its components in Europe. This estimator has better properties than the kernel density estimator generally used in the literature on intra-distribution dynamics (cf. Quah, 1997). By using the new estimator, we obtain evidence of a very strong persistent behavior of the regions considered in the study, that is poor regions tend to remain poorer and rich regions tend to remain richer. These results are also in line with the most recent literature available on the distribution dynamic approach to regional convergence (Pittau and Zelli, 2006).
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by European Regional Science Association in its series ERSA conference papers with number ersa06p262.
Date of creation: Aug 2006
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Welthandelsplatz 1, 1020 Vienna, Austria
Web page: http://www.ersa.org
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-01-14 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2007-01-14 (Econometrics)
- NEP-GEO-2007-01-14 (Economic Geography)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Angelos Liontakis & Christos T. Papadas, 2010. "Distribution Dynamics of Food Price Inflation Rates in EU: An Alternative Conditional Density Estimator Approach," Working Papers, Agricultural University of Athens, Department Of Agricultural Economics 2010-6, Agricultural University of Athens, Department Of Agricultural Economics.
- Maza, Adolfo & Villaverde, José, 2008. "The world per capita electricity consumption distribution: Signs of convergence?," Energy Policy, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 36(11), pages 4255-4261, November.
- Olivier Peron & Serge Rey, 2012. "Trade and convergence of per capita income in the Indian Ocean Zone, 1950–2008," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, Springer, vol. 49(3), pages 657-683, December.
- Angelos Liontakis & Dimitris Kremmydas, 2013. "Food Inflation in EU: Distribution Analysis and Spatial Effects," Working Papers, Agricultural University of Athens, Department Of Agricultural Economics 2013-3, Agricultural University of Athens, Department Of Agricultural Economics.
- Raileanu Szeles, Monica, 2011.
"Exploring the Economic Convergence in the Eu’s New Member States by Using Nonparametric Models,"
Journal for Economic Forecasting, Institute for Economic Forecasting,
Institute for Economic Forecasting, vol. 0(1), pages 20-40, March.
- Monica Raileanu Szeles, 2011. "Exploring the Economic Convergence in the EU New Member States by Using Nonparametric Models," IWH Discussion Papers, Halle Institute for Economic Research 2, Halle Institute for Economic Research.
- Adolfo Maza & María Hierro & José Villaverde, 2010. "Measuring intra-distribution income dynamics: an application to the European regions," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, Springer, vol. 45(2), pages 313-329, October.
- Liontakis, Angelos E. & Papadas, Christos T., 2009. "Distribution Dynamics of Food Price Inflation Rates in EU: An Alternative Conditional Density Estimator Approach," 113th Seminar, September 3-6, 2009, Chania, Crete, Greece, European Association of Agricultural Economists 58084, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gunther Maier).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.