The Need Of Spatial Typologies In Tourism Planning And Policy Making - The Greek Case
AbstractGreek tourism has been developed since the 70’s. Main scope of this development was the economic support of areas with rich natural and cultural capital. This process has created a number of effects (positive and negative ones) at the destination areas mainly because of the lack of integrated planning. The necessity for tourism planning in local, regional and national scale is obvious, especially when the main objective is the preservation and the competitiveness of the destination areas. Tourism development is differentiated from place to place and tourism policy must reflect that. A spatial typology for tourism development is necessary in order to develop sharper policy measures. In this paper we will examine a spatial typology that has been created for the Greek coasts for policy making.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by European Regional Science Association in its series ERSA conference papers with number ersa05p693.
Date of creation: Aug 2005
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Welthandelsplatz 1, 1020 Vienna, Austria
Web page: http://www.ersa.org
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2006-02-05 (All new papers)
- NEP-GEO-2006-02-05 (Economic Geography)
- NEP-TUR-2006-02-05 (Tourism Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nijkamp, P. & Verdonkschot, S., 1995. "Sustainable tourism development: a case study of Lesbos," Serie Research Memoranda 0003, VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics.
- Coccossis, H., 1991. "Tourism and strategic development," Serie Research Memoranda 0098, VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gunther Maier).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.