Regional Labour Productivity in The Netherlands - Diversification and Agglomeration Economies
AbstractThis paper studies the extent to which diversification and agglomeration effects account for regional differences in labour productivity levels and labour productivity growth. Using a large set of regional data for The Netherlands for 40 labour market areas between 1990-2001 we find that roughly 60% of the explained variation in regional productivity differences and 55% of the regional growth differences can be attributed to indicators of diversification and agglomeration effects. A sensitivity analysis shows that these effects are fairly robust.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by European Regional Science Association in its series ERSA conference papers with number ersa05p31.
Date of creation: Aug 2005
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Augasse 2-6, 1090 Vienna, Austria
Web page: http://www.ersa.org
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2006-02-05 (All new papers)
- NEP-EFF-2006-02-05 (Efficiency & Productivity)
- NEP-GEO-2006-02-05 (Economic Geography)
- NEP-URE-2006-02-05 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stephen D. Oliner & Daniel E. Sichel, 2002.
"Information technology and productivity: where are we now and where are we going?,"
Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta, issue Q3, pages 15-44.
- Oliner, Stephen D. & Sichel, Daniel E., 2003. "Information technology and productivity: where are we now and where are we going?," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 25(5), pages 477-503, July.
- Stephen D. Oliner & Daniel E. Sichel, 2002. "Information technology and productivity: where are we now and where are we going?," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2002-29, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Blien, Uwe & Wolf, Katja, 2002.
"Regional development of employment in eastern Germany. An analysis with an econometric analogue to shift-share techniques,"
ERSA conference papers
ersa02p263, European Regional Science Association.
- Uwe Blien & Katja Wolf, 2002. "Regional development of employment in eastern Germany: an analysis with an econometric analogue to shift-share techniques," Papers in Regional Science, Springer, vol. 81(3), pages 391-414.
- Dixit, Avinash K & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1977.
"Monopolistic Competition and Optimum Product Diversity,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 67(3), pages 297-308, June.
- Dixit, Avinash K & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1975. "Monopolistic Competition and Optimum Product Diversity," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 64, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Antonio Ciccone & Robert E. Hall, 1995.
"Productivity and the density of economic activity,"
Economics Working Papers
120, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Ciccone, A. & Hall, R.E., 1993. "Productivity and the Density of Economic Activity," Working Papers e-93-6, Hoover Institution, Stanford University.
- Antonio Ciccone & Robert E. Hall, 1996. "Productivity and the Density of Economic Activity," NBER Working Papers 4313, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dale W. Jorgenson & Kevin J. Stiroh, 2000.
"Raising the Speed Limit: U.S. Economic Growth in the Information Age,"
Brookings Papers on Economic Activity,
Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 31(1), pages 125-236.
- Dale W. Jorgenson & Kevin J. Stiroh, 2000. "Raising the Speed Limit: US Economic Growth in the Information Age," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 261, OECD Publishing.
- Dirk Pilat & Franck Lee & Bart van Ark, 2002. "Production and Use of ICT: A Sectoral Perspective on Productivity Growth in the OECD Area," OECD Economic Studies, OECD Publishing, vol. 2002(2), pages 47-78.
- Peterson, Willis, 1989. "Rates of Return on Capital: An International Comparison," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(2), pages 203-17.
- Nahuis, R. & Tang, P.J.G., 1999. "Sectoral Productivity Growth and R&D Spillovers in the Netherlands," Discussion Paper 1999-15, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Edward L. Glaeser & Hedi D. Kallal & Jose A. Scheinkman & Andrei Shleifer, 1991.
"Growth in Cities,"
NBER Working Papers
3787, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ciccone, Antonio, 2002.
"Agglomeration effects in Europe,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 213-227, February.
- repec:rus:hseeco:15966 is not listed on IDEAS
- Schreyer, Paul, 2002. "Computer Price Indices and International Growth and Productivity Comparisons," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 48(1), pages 15-31, March.
- Bruno Van Pottelsberghe & Dominique Guellec, 2001.
"R&D and productivity growth: a panel data analysis of 16 OECD countries,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/6219, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Dominique Guellec & Bruno van Pottelsberghe de la Potterie, 2001. "R&D and Productivity Growth: Panel Data Analysis of 16 OECD Countries," OECD Economic Studies, OECD Publishing, vol. 2001(2), pages 103-126.
- Dominique Guellec & Bruno van Pottelsberghe de la Potterie, 2001. "R&D and Productivity Growth: Panel Data Analysis of 16 OECD Countries," OECD Science, Technology and Industry Working Papers 2001/3, OECD Publishing.
- Bart van Ark & Robert Inklaar & Robert H. McGuckin, 2002. "'Changing Gear' - Productivity, ICT and Services Industries: Europe and the United States," Economics Program Working Papers 02-02, The Conference Board, Economics Program.
- Masahisa Fujita & Paul Krugman & Anthony J. Venables, 2001. "The Spatial Economy: Cities, Regions, and International Trade," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262561476, June.
- Broersma, Lourens & Dijk, Jouke van, 2005.
"Regional differences in productivity growth in The Netherlands: an industry-level growth accounting,"
CCSO Working Papers
200504, University of Groningen, CCSO Centre for Economic Research.
- Lourens Broersma & Jouke Van Dijk, 2005. "Regional Differences in Productivity Growth in the Netherlands - an Industry-level Growth Accounting," ERSA conference papers ersa05p62, European Regional Science Association.
- Vicente Royuela & Jordi Suriñach, 2013.
"Quality of Work and Aggregate Productivity,"
Social Indicators Research,
Springer, vol. 113(1), pages 37-66, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gunther Maier).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.