Ryanair’s Impact on Airline Market Share from the London Area Airports - a Time Series Analysis
AbstractRyanair tends to operate to destinations from its UK bases that are not the main airports in the country being served and in this it differs from many other European low cost carriers. For example, it flies from London Stansted (STN) to Venice Treviso (TSF), whereas the competition flies from other London area airports to Venice Marco Polo (VCE). So although direct competition is not provided in the way that rival services operate between identical pairs of airports, indirect competition is provided. This raises the question, when Ryanair commence services, what is the impact on the market share of the incumbent airlines at these other airports? This can be shown by examining UK Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) data on scheduled passengers carried, along with OAG data on flight frequency, airline and aircraft type on a number of selected routes. The impact on market share can be shown and the conclusion suggested that total traffic is stimulated on these sectors so that incumbent's traffic might fall, be constant or even increase, whilst their share, and probably their yield, falls, as Ryanair exploits latent demand. These findings echo previous work, for example, Barrett (2000). These conclusions are really generated hypotheses and these can be tested more completely by a time series analysis on monthly passenger data from 1991- 2003.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by European Regional Science Association in its series ERSA conference papers with number ersa05p16.
Date of creation: Aug 2005
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Welthandelsplatz 1, 1020 Vienna, Austria
Web page: http://www.ersa.org
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2006-02-05 (All new papers)
- NEP-COM-2006-02-05 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-GEO-2006-02-05 (Economic Geography)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Barrett, Sean D, 2000. "Airport competition in the deregulated European aviation market," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 13-27.
- Barrett, Sean D., 2004. "How do the demands for airport services differ between full-service carriers and low-cost carriers?," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 33-39.
- Tretheway, Michael W, 2004. "Distortions of airline revenues: why the network airline business model is broken," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 3-14.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gunther Maier).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.