Regional Unemployment and Productivity in Europe and the US
AbstractThe existence and persistence of large spatial disparities in un-employment within national economies is a central issue in regional economics. Previous empirical analyses have largely disregarded the role of fundamentals. On the contrary in this paper we explore the link between labour productivity, international trade and regional un-employment differentials. We base our empirical analysis on the predictions of a simple General Oligopolistic Equilibrium effciency-wage trade model. Using semi parametric regression methods, controlling for industry-mix and labour force participation, we give evidence of a non linear negative relationship between labour productivity and regional unemployment, in the cases of European regions. Instead, no significant relationships between these variables have been found for the United States. Keywords: Productivity, Regional Unemployment, Oligopoly, Non parametrics. JEL Classification: C14, D50, F12, F16, J41, L13, R10.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by European Regional Science Association in its series ERSA conference papers with number ersa04p38.
Date of creation: Aug 2004
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Augasse 2-6, 1090 Vienna, Austria
Web page: http://www.ersa.org
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C14 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Semiparametric and Nonparametric Methods: General
- D50 - Microeconomics - - General Equilibrium and Disequilibrium - - - General
- F12 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Models of Trade with Imperfect Competition and Scale Economies
- F16 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade and Labor Market Interactions
- J41 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Particular Labor Markets - - - Labor Contracts
- L13 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Oligopoly and Other Imperfect Markets
- R10 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2005-11-09 (All new papers)
- NEP-EEC-2005-11-09 (European Economics)
- NEP-EFF-2005-11-09 (Efficiency & Productivity)
- NEP-GEO-2005-11-09 (Economic Geography)
- NEP-INT-2005-11-09 (International Trade)
- NEP-LAB-2005-11-09 (Labour Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Decressin, Jörg & Fatás, Antonio, 1994.
"Regional Labour Market Dynamics in Europe,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1085, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Mark J. Melitz, 2002.
"The Impact of Trade on Intra-Industry Reallocations and Aggregate Industry Productivity,"
NBER Working Papers
8881, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Marc J. Melitz, 2003. "The Impact of Trade on Intra-Industry Reallocations and Aggregate Industry Productivity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 71(6), pages 1695-1725, November.
- Melitz, Marc J, 2002. "The Impact of Trade on Intra-Industry Reallocations and Aggregate Industry Productivity," CEPR Discussion Papers 3381, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Pedro Portugal & Olivier Blanchard, 2001. "What Hides Behind an Unemployment Rate: Comparing Portuguese and U.S. Labor Markets," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 91(1), pages 187-207, March.
- Shapiro, Carl & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1984. "Equilibrium Unemployment as a Worker Discipline Device," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 74(3), pages 433-44, June.
- Olivier Jean Blanchard & Lawrence F. Katz, 1992. "Regional Evolutions," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 23(1), pages 1-76.
- Lucio R. Pench & Paolo Sestito & Elisabetta Frontini, 1999. "Some unpleasant arithmetics of regional unemployment in the EU. Are there any lessons for EMU?," European Economy - Economic Papers 134, Directorate General Economic and Monetary Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Diego Puga, 2002.
"European regional policies in light of recent location theories,"
Journal of Economic Geography,
Oxford University Press, vol. 2(4), pages 373-406, October.
- Puga, Diego, 2001. "European Regional Policies in Light of Recent Location Theories," CEPR Discussion Papers 2767, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Hoon, Hian Teck, 2001. "Adjustment of wages and equilibrium unemployment in a Ricardian global economy," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 54(1), pages 193-209, June.
- J Peter Neary, 2002.
"Competitive versus Comparative Advantage,"
200219, School Of Economics, University College Dublin.
- C Bean, 1992.
"European Unemployment: A Survey,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0071, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Ron Martin, 1997. "Regional Unemployment Disparities and their Dynamics," Regional Studies, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 31(3), pages 237-252.
- Olivier Jean Blanchard & Lawrence Katz, 1999.
"Wage Dynamics: Reconciling Theory and Evidence,"
NBER Working Papers
6924, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Niebuhr, Annekatrin, 2002. "Spatial dependence of regional unemployment in the European Union," HWWA Discussion Papers 186, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWA).
- Taylor, Jim & Bradley, Steve, 1997. "Unemployment in Europe: A Comparative Analysis of Regional Disparities in Germany, Italy and the UK," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 50(2), pages 221-45.
- Roberto Basile & Sergio De Nardis & Alessandro Girardi, 2003. "Dinamiche di sviluppo nel centro e nella periferia d'Europa: il ruolo delle politiche strutturali," Rivista di Politica Economica, SIPI Spa, vol. 93(4), pages 89-134, July-Augu.
- repec:rus:hseeco:122439 is not listed on IDEAS
- Basile, Roberto & Padoa Schioppa, Fiorella Kostoris, 2002. "Unemployment Dynamics of the 'Mezzogiornos of Europe': Lessons for the Mezzogiorno of Italy," CEPR Discussion Papers 3594, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- repec:fth:eeccco:134 is not listed on IDEAS
- Thomas B. King, 2005. "Labor productivity and job-market flows: trends, cycles, and correlations," Supervisory Policy Analysis Working Papers 2005-04, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gunther Maier).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.