Regional Unemployment and Productivity in Europe and the US
AbstractThe existence and persistence of large spatial disparities in un-employment within national economies is a central issue in regional economics. Previous empirical analyses have largely disregarded the role of fundamentals. On the contrary in this paper we explore the link between labour productivity, international trade and regional un-employment differentials. We base our empirical analysis on the predictions of a simple General Oligopolistic Equilibrium effciency-wage trade model. Using semi parametric regression methods, controlling for industry-mix and labour force participation, we give evidence of a non linear negative relationship between labour productivity and regional unemployment, in the cases of European regions. Instead, no significant relationships between these variables have been found for the United States. Keywords: Productivity, Regional Unemployment, Oligopoly, Non parametrics. JEL Classification: C14, D50, F12, F16, J41, L13, R10.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by European Regional Science Association in its series ERSA conference papers with number ersa04p38.
Date of creation: Aug 2004
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Welthandelsplatz 1, 1020 Vienna, Austria
Web page: http://www.ersa.org
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C14 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Semiparametric and Nonparametric Methods: General
- D50 - Microeconomics - - General Equilibrium and Disequilibrium - - - General
- F12 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Models of Trade with Imperfect Competition and Scale Economies; Fragmentation
- F16 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade and Labor Market Interactions
- J41 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Particular Labor Markets - - - Labor Contracts
- L13 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Oligopoly and Other Imperfect Markets
- R10 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2005-11-09 (All new papers)
- NEP-EEC-2005-11-09 (European Economics)
- NEP-EFF-2005-11-09 (Efficiency & Productivity)
- NEP-GEO-2005-11-09 (Economic Geography)
- NEP-INT-2005-11-09 (International Trade)
- NEP-LAB-2005-11-09 (Labour Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bean, Charles R, 1994.
"European Unemployment: A Survey,"
Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association,
American Economic Association, vol. 32(2), pages 573-619, June.
- C Bean, 1992. "European Unemployment: A Survey," CEP Discussion Papers, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE dp0071, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- repec:fth:eeccco:134 is not listed on IDEAS
- Lawrence F. Katz & Olivier Blanchard, 1999.
"Wage Dynamics: Reconciling Theory and Evidence,"
American Economic Review, American Economic Association,
American Economic Association, vol. 89(2), pages 69-74, May.
- Ron Martin, 1997. "Regional Unemployment Disparities and their Dynamics," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 31(3), pages 237-252.
- Pedro Portugal & Olivier Blanchard, 2001. "What Hides Behind an Unemployment Rate: Comparing Portuguese and U.S. Labor Markets," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, American Economic Association, vol. 91(1), pages 187-207, March.
- Hoon, Hian Teck, 2001. "Adjustment of wages and equilibrium unemployment in a Ricardian global economy," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 54(1), pages 193-209, June.
- Melitz, Marc J, 2002.
"The Impact of Trade on Intra-Industry Reallocations and Aggregate Industry Productivity,"
CEPR Discussion Papers, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers
3381, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Marc J. Melitz, 2003. "The Impact of Trade on Intra-Industry Reallocations and Aggregate Industry Productivity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, Econometric Society, vol. 71(6), pages 1695-1725, November.
- Mark J. Melitz, 2002. "The Impact of Trade on Intra-Industry Reallocations and Aggregate Industry Productivity," NBER Working Papers 8881, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- J Peter Neary, 2002.
"Competitive versus Comparative Advantage,"
Working Papers, School Of Economics, University College Dublin
200219, School Of Economics, University College Dublin.
- Niebuhr, Annekatrin, 2002. "Spatial dependence of regional unemployment in the European Union," HWWA Discussion Papers, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWA) 186, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWA).
- Olivier Jean Blanchard & Lawrence F. Katz, 1992. "Regional Evolutions," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 23(1), pages 1-76.
- Decressin, Jörg & Fatás, Antonio, 1994.
"Regional Labour Market Dynamics in Europe,"
CEPR Discussion Papers, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers
1085, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Shapiro, Carl & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1984. "Equilibrium Unemployment as a Worker Discipline Device," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, American Economic Association, vol. 74(3), pages 433-44, June.
- Roberto Basile & Sergio De Nardis & Alessandro Girardi, 2003. "Dinamiche di sviluppo nel centro e nella periferia d'Europa: il ruolo delle politiche strutturali," Rivista di Politica Economica, SIPI Spa, SIPI Spa, vol. 93(4), pages 89-134, July-Augu.
- Lucio R. Pench & Paolo Sestito & Elisabetta Frontini, 1999. "Some unpleasant arithmetics of regional unemployment in the EU. Are there any lessons for EMU?," European Economy - Economic Papers, Directorate General Economic and Monetary Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission 134, Directorate General Economic and Monetary Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Taylor, Jim & Bradley, Steve, 1997. "Unemployment in Europe: A Comparative Analysis of Regional Disparities in Germany, Italy and the UK," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 50(2), pages 221-45.
- repec:rus:hseeco:122439 is not listed on IDEAS
- Diego Puga, 2002.
"European regional policies in light of recent location theories,"
Journal of Economic Geography, Oxford University Press,
Oxford University Press, vol. 2(4), pages 373-406, October.
- Puga, Diego, 2001. "European Regional Policies in Light of Recent Location Theories," CEPR Discussion Papers, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers 2767, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Basile, Roberto & Padoa Schioppa, Fiorella Kostoris, 2002. "Unemployment Dynamics of the 'Mezzogiornos of Europe': Lessons for the Mezzogiorno of Italy," CEPR Discussion Papers, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers 3594, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Thomas B. King, 2005. "Labor productivity and job-market flows: trends, cycles, and correlations," Supervisory Policy Analysis Working Papers, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis 2005-04, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gunther Maier).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.