An evaluation of economic efficiency of finnish regions by DEA and Tobit models
AbstractPrivate sector economic efficiency of 83 Finnish regions (labour market areas) in 1988-1999 is investigated by a two stage procedure. In the first stage non-parametric Data Envelopment Analysis (DEA) is used for calculating a best practise production frontier and relative efficiency scores for the regions. Outputs are regional value added and personal direct real income from employment. Inputs of the study include capital stock, employment by education level, years of schooling and volume of local public sector activity. In the second stage, regional differences in efficiency are studied by explaining inefficiency scores (1-efficiency scores) by econometric Tobit models. Here the independent variables include factors which were not explicitly included in the DEA-models such as size (population), location (economic distance) and production structure of regions.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by European Regional Science Association in its series ERSA conference papers with number ersa02p237.
Date of creation: Aug 2002
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Welthandelsplatz 1, 1020 Vienna, Austria
Web page: http://www.ersa.org
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Joaquin Millan & Natalia Aldaz, 1998. "Agricultural productivity of the Spanish regions: a non-parametric Malmquist analysis," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 30(7), pages 875-884.
- Charnes, Abraham & Cooper, William W. & Li, Shanling, 1989. "Using data envelopment analysis to evaluate efficiency in the economic performance of Chinese cities," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 23(6), pages 325-344.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Joaquin Maudos & Jose Pastor & Lorenzo Serrano, 2000. "Efficiency and Productive Specialization: An Application to the Spanish Regions," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(9), pages 829-842.
- Heikki A. Loikkanen & Ilkka Susiluoto, 2005. "Cost Efficiency of Finnish Municipalities in Basic Service Provision 1994-2002," ERSA conference papers ersa05p37, European Regional Science Association.
- Piekkola, Hannu, 2005. "Knowledge Capital as the Source of Growth," Discussion Papers 972, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gunther Maier).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.