Crossing Industry Borders: German Manufacturers as Services Exporters
AbstractGerman manufacturing ﬁrms increasingly engage in service trade activities. Micro-level data show that producer service exports of German manufacturers amounted to EUR 30 billion in 2005. In particular, construction, engineering and R&D services are exported. The machinery industries and automobile and chemicals producers dominate the overall pattern. The types of services exported vary strongly across industries. Furthermore, export activities are concentrated on a few large exporters. Service exports of advertising, data processing and R&D services are found to likely support foreign affiliates of ﬁrms. However, these headquarter services are only infrequently observable. Much more important are construction and engineering services exported by machinery ﬁrms. These might represent installation and maintenance services exported to complement the supply of machinery. Beyond the support of foreign production affiliates of ﬁrms, R&D services exports generally represent the transfer of knowledge and technology. These might be relevant also in R&D cooperations of ﬁrms or when ﬁrms have partnerships with foreign suppliers or buyers of intermediate products.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The Vienna Institute for International Economic Studies, wiiw in its series wiiw Working Papers with number 92.
Length: 27 pages including 7 Tables
Date of creation: Jul 2012
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published as wiiw Working Paper
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D22 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Firm Behavior: Empirical Analysis
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
- F23 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - Multinational Firms; International Business
- L80 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Breinlich, Holger & Criscuolo, Chiara, 2011.
"International trade in services: A portrait of importers and exporters,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 84(2), pages 188-206, July.
- Breinlich, Holger & Criscuolo, Chiara, 2010. "International Trade in Services: A Portrait of Importers and Exporters," CEPR Discussion Papers 7837, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Vandermerwe, Sandra & Rada, Juan, 1988. "Servitization of business: Adding value by adding services," European Management Journal, Elsevier, vol. 6(4), pages 314-324, December.
- Markus Kelle & Jörn Kleinert & Horst Raff & Farid Toubal, 2012.
"Cross-Border and Foreign-Affiliate Sales of Services: Evidence from German Micro-Data,"
Development Working Papers
335, Centro Studi Luca d\'Agliano, University of Milano, revised 16 Jul 2012.
- Markus Kelle & Jörn Kleinert & Horst Raff & Farid Toubal, 2013. "Cross-border and Foreign Affiliate Sales of Services: Evidence from German Microdata," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 36(11), pages 1373-1392, November.
- Markus Kelle & Jörn Kleinert & Horst Raff & Farid Toubal, 2012. "Cross-Border and Foreign-Affiliate Sales of Services: Evidence from German Micro-Data," CESifo Working Paper Series 3806, CESifo Group Munich.
- Kelle, Markus & Kleinert, Jörn & Raff, Horst & Toubal, Farid, 2012. "Cross-Border and Foreign-Affiliate Sales of Services: Evidence From German Micro-Data," CEPR Discussion Papers 9016, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Markus Kelle & Jörn Kleinert & Horst Raff & Farid Toubal, 2012. "Cross-Border and Foreign-Affiliate Sales of Services: Evidence From German Micro-Data," Kiel Working Papers 1771, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Joseph Francois & Julia Woerz, 2008.
"Producer Services, Manufacturing Linkages, and Trade,"
Journal of Industry, Competition and Trade,
Springer, vol. 8(3), pages 199-229, December.
- Joseph Francois & Julia Woerz, 2007. "Producer Services, Manufacturing Linkages, and Trade," FIW Working Paper series 002, FIW.
- Joseph Francois & Julia Woerz, 2007. "Producer Services, Manufacturing Linkages, and Trade," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 07-045/2, Tinbergen Institute.
- Joseph F. Francois & Bernard Hoekman, 2009.
"Services Trade and Policy,"
Economics working papers
2009-03, Department of Economics, Johannes Kepler University Linz, Austria.
- Ronald B. Davies, 2003.
"Fragmentation of Headquarter Services and FDI,"
University of Oregon Economics Department Working Papers
2003-25, University of Oregon Economics Department, revised 01 Sep 2003.
- Davies, Ronald B., 2005. "Fragmentation of headquarter services and FDI," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 61-79, March.
- Frank Stille, 2003. "Produktbegleitende Dienstleistungen gewinnen weiter an Bedeutung," DIW Wochenbericht, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research, vol. 70(21), pages 335-342.
- World Bank, 2009. "World Development Indicators 2009," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 4367, March.
- Sébastien Miroudot & Alexandros Ragoussis, 2009. "Vertical Trade, Trade Costs and FDI," OECD Trade Policy Papers 89, OECD Publishing.
- Joachim Wagner, 2007.
"Exports and Productivity in Germany,"
Applied Economics Quarterly (formerly: Konjunkturpolitik),
Duncker & Humblot, Berlin, vol. 53(4), pages 353-373.
- Joachim Wagner, 2007. "Exports and Productivity in Germany," Working Paper Series in Economics 41, University of Lüneburg, Institute of Economics.
- Joachim Wagner, 2007. "Exports and Productivity in Germany," Papers on Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy 2007-15, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy Group.
- Joachim Wagner, 2007. "Exports and Productivity in Germany," Jena Economic Research Papers 2007-026, Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena, Max-Planck-Institute of Economics.
- Stefano Federico & Enrico Tosti, 2012. "Exporters and importers of services: firm-level evidence on Italy," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 877, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Olivier N. Godart & Holger Görg & David Greenaway, 2009. "Headquarter services, skill intensity and labour demand elasticities in multinational firms," Kiel Working Papers 1575, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Bernard Hoekman, 2008. "The General Agreement on Trade in Services: Doomed to Fail? Does it Matter?," Journal of Industry, Competition and Trade, Springer, vol. 8(3), pages 295-318, December.
- Jeffrey M. Wooldridge, 2003. "Cluster-Sample Methods in Applied Econometrics," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 93(2), pages 133-138, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Customer service).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.