On the Volume and Variety of Intra-Bloc Trade in an Expanded European Union
AbstractThis paper examines the development of exports within the expanded European Union over the period 2000-2007. The paper addresses the issues of how and why within-bloc exports have developed following accession. The paper shows that exports within CEFTA and within other accession countries have grown more quickly than those between old EU members, but that after accounting for traditional gravity determinants there has been no significant change in this behaviour following accession in 2004. As such, this is likely to reflect a natural realignment of trade patterns following the communist era, as well as the relatively stronger performance of the new entrants when compared with existing EU members. The results also indicate that much of the increase in exports within the accession countries has been due to an increase in the variety of products traded, rather than an increase in the volume of existing products.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The Vienna Institute for International Economic Studies, wiiw in its series wiiw Working Papers with number 87.
Length: 27 pages including 11 Tables
Date of creation: Jun 2012
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published as wiiw Working Paper
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F15 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Economic Integration
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-10-20 (All new papers)
- NEP-EEC-2012-10-20 (European Economics)
- NEP-EUR-2012-10-20 (Microeconomic European Issues)
- NEP-INT-2012-10-20 (International Trade)
- NEP-TRA-2012-10-20 (Transition Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- GÃ¡bor HUNYA & SÃ¡ndor RICHTER, 2011. "Mutual trade and investment of the Visegrad countries before and after their EU accession," Eastern Journal of European Studies, Centre for European Studies, Alexandru Ioan Cuza University, Centre for European Studies, Alexandru Ioan Cuza University, vol. 2, pages 77-91, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Customer service).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.