Innovation at the Firm Level across Countries with Different Economic and Technological Capacity
AbstractThis paper presents an analysis of innovation behaviour at the firm level across countries with different levels of technological capabilities and economic development. Using data from the Community Innovation Survey for 20 European countries the paper shows that the impact of total innovation expenditures – including next to R&D also outlays for technology transfer, the market introduction of innovations or new designs – increases monotonically across countries with their level of technological capabilities. R&D investments instead have a significant impact on the generation of innovations only for firms located in countries with higher levels of technological capabilities. Firm specific competencies to suggest or contribute to innovation projects have a more significant effect on the innovation output the higher the level of economic development of the countries in which firms are located. Finally, the paper presents also evidence that R&D does not generally increase the absorptive capabilities of firms.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by WIFO in its series WIFO Working Papers with number 436.
Length: 54 pages
Date of creation: 14 Sep 2012
Date of revision:
Innovation decision; Catching up; Technological capabilities; R&D;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-09-22 (All new papers)
- NEP-CSE-2012-09-22 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-ENT-2012-09-22 (Entrepreneurship)
- NEP-EUR-2012-09-22 (Microeconomic European Issues)
- NEP-INO-2012-09-22 (Innovation)
- NEP-KNM-2012-09-22 (Knowledge Management & Knowledge Economy)
- NEP-PPM-2012-09-22 (Project, Program & Portfolio Management)
- NEP-SBM-2012-09-22 (Small Business Management)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pier Saviotti & Koen Frenken, 2008. "Export variety and the economic performance of countries," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, vol. 18(2), pages 201-218, April.
- Klette, Tor Jakob & Kortum, Samuel S, 2002.
"Innovating Firms and Aggregate Innovation,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3248, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Klette, Tor Jakob & Kortum, Samuel, 2002. "Innovating Firms and Aggregate Innovation," Memorandum 02/2002, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Jakob Klette & Samuel Kortum, 2002. "Innovating firms and aggregate innovation," Staff Report 300, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Tor Jakob Klette & Samuel Kortum, 2002. "Innovating Firms and Aggregate Innovation," NBER Working Papers 8819, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hall, Bronwyn H. & Mairesse, Jacques, 1995.
"Exploring the relationship between R&D and productivity in French manufacturing firms,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 65(1), pages 263-293, January.
- Bronwyn H. Hall & Jacques Mairesse, 1995. "Exploring the Relationship Between R&D and Productivity in French Manufacturing Firms," NBER Working Papers 3956, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rachel Griffith & Elena Huergo & Jacques Mairesse & Bettina Peters, 2006.
"Innovation and Productivity Across Four European Countries,"
Oxford Review of Economic Policy,
Oxford University Press, vol. 22(4), pages 483-498, Winter.
- Rachel Griffith & Elena Huergo & Jacques Mairesse & Bettina Peters, 2006. "Innovation and Productivity across Four European Countries," NBER Working Papers 12722, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dirk Krueger & Krishna B. Kumar, 2003.
"US-Europe Differences in Technology-Driven Growth: Quantifying the Role of Education,"
NBER Working Papers
10001, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Krueger, Dirk & Kumar, Krishna B., 2004. "US-Europe differences in technology-driven growth: quantifying the role of education," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 51(1), pages 161-190, January.
- Michael Peneder, 2010.
"Technological Regimes and the Variety of Innovation Behaviour. Creating Integrated Taxonomies of Firms and Sectors,"
WIFO Working Papers
- Peneder, Michael, 2010. "Technological regimes and the variety of innovation behaviour: Creating integrated taxonomies of firms and sectors," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 323-334, April.
- Mazzoleni, Roberto & Nelson, Richard R., 2007. "Public research institutions and economic catch-up," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(10), pages 1512-1528, December.
- Andreas Reinstaller & Fabian Unterlass, 2012. "Comparing business R&D across countries over time: a decomposition exercise using data for the EU 27," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(12), pages 1143-1148, August.
- John Sutton & Daniel Trefler, 2011. "Deductions from the Export Basket: Capabilities, Wealth and Trade," NBER Working Papers 16834, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Francis Vella, 1998. "Estimating Models with Sample Selection Bias: A Survey," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 33(1), pages 127-169.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ilse Schulz).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.