Shirking, Endogenous Lay-off Rates and the A-cyclicality of the Real Wage
AbstractThe paper extends the Shapiro-Stiglitz (1987) efficiency wage model by endogenising the probability of worker displacement as a function of the change in the firm's employment. This creates counter-cyclical variation in the wage mark-up and thereby generates real wage persistence. A New Keynesian DSGE model equipped with this extension replicates the empirical facts of a very limited response of the real wage to the business cycle together with a lagged hump-shaped response of employment to output.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by WIFO in its series WIFO Working Papers with number 350.
Length: 30 pages
Date of creation:
Date of revision:
Efficiency wages; shirking; real wage persistence; New Keynesian models;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David, DE LA CROIX & Gregory, DE WALQUE & Rafael, WOUTERS, 2006.
"Dynamics and monetary policy in a fair wage model of the business cycle,"
Discussion Papers (ECON - DÃ©partement des Sciences Economiques)
2006061, Université catholique de Louvain, Département des Sciences Economiques.
- David de la Croix & Gregory de Walque & Rafael Wouters, 2006. "Dynamics and monetary policy in a fair wage model of the business cycle," Working Paper Research 98, National Bank of Belgium.
- de la Croix, David & de Walque, Gregory & Wouters, Raf, 2007. "Dynamics and monetary policy in a fair wage model of the business cycle," Working Paper Series 0780, European Central Bank.
- DE LA CROIX, David & DE WALQUE, Gregory & WOUTERS, Rafael, 2006. "Dynamics and monetary policy in a fair wage model of the business cycle," CORE Discussion Papers 2006106, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Dixon,Huw David & Rankin,Neil, 1995. "The New Macroeconomics," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521479479, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ilse Schulz).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.