Convergence in Structure and Productivity in European Manufacturing?
AbstractWe find fast convergence in productivity for 99 three-digit European industries over the 1985-98 period. Half of any productivity gap is closed on average in about 10-15 years. We explicitly formulate the steady-state assumptions for structural convergence to hold. Convergence in industrial structure is much slower than productivity catch-up with a half-life of around 50 years, a stylized fact which cannot easily be explained by the existing models of trade and growth. Copyright Verein fÃ¼r Socialpolitik and Blackwell Publishing Ltd. 2004.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by WIFO in its series WIFO Working Papers with number 127.
Length: 22 pages
Date of creation:
Date of revision:
Convergence in Structure and Productivity in European Manufacturing?;
Other versions of this item:
- Klaus Gugler & Michael Pfaffermayr, 2004. "Convergence in Structure and Productivity in European Manufacturing?," German Economic Review, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 5(1), pages 61-79, 02.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bent Dalum & Gert Villumsen, 1996. "Are OECD Export Specialisation Patterns 'Sticky'? Relations to the Convergence-Divergence Debate," DRUID Working Papers 96-3, DRUID, Copenhagen Business School, Department of Industrial Economics and Strategy/Aalborg University, Department of Business Studies.
- Fagerberg, Jan, 1994. "Technology and International Differences in Growth Rates," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 32(3), pages 1147-75, September.
- Jan Fagerberg & Bart Verspagen, 1996. "Heading for Divergence? Regional Growth in Europe Reconsidered," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 34(3), pages 431-448, 09.
- Fagerberg, Jan, 1995.
"Convergence or Divergence? The Impact of Technology on "Why Growth Rates Differ.","
Journal of Evolutionary Economics,
Springer, vol. 5(3), pages 269-84, September.
- Jan Fagerberg, 1995. "Convergence or Divergence - The Impact of Technology," Working Papers Archives 1995524, Centre for Technology, Innovation and Culture, University of Oslo.
- Masahisa Fujita & Paul Krugman & Anthony J. Venables, 2001. "The Spatial Economy: Cities, Regions, and International Trade," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262561476, December.
- Martin A. Carree & Luuk Klomp & A. Roy Thurik, 1999.
"Productivity Convergence in OECD Manufacturing Industries,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
99-065/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Carree, M. A. & Klomp, L. & Thurik, A. R., 2000. "Productivity convergence in OECD manufacturing industries," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 66(3), pages 337-345, March.
- Friedman, Milton, 1992. "Do Old Fallacies Ever Die?," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 30(4), pages 2129-32, December.
- Nelson, Richard R & Wright, Gavin, 1992. "The Rise and Fall of American Technological Leadership: The Postwar Era in Historical Perspective," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 30(4), pages 1931-64, December.
- repec:onb:oenbfs:y:2004:i:1:b:2 is not listed on IDEAS
- Palan, Nicole & Schmiedeberg, Claudia, 2010. "Structural convergence of European countries," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 85-100, May.
- Höhenberger, Nicole & Schmiedeberg, Claudia, 2008. "Structural convergence of European countries," Center for European, Governance and Economic Development Research Discussion Papers 75, University of Goettingen, Department of Economics.
- Nagayasu, Jun, 2012. "Regional inflation and industrial structure in monetary union," MPRA Paper 37310, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Alexiadis, Stilianos & Kokkidis, Stilianos, 2010. "Convergence in Agriculture: Evidence from the regions of an Enlarged EU," MPRA Paper 26011, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Aleksejs Melihovs & Igors Kasjanovs, 2011. "The Convergence Processes in Europe and Latvia," Discussion Papers 2011/01, Latvijas Banka.
- Antje Hildebrandt & Julia Wörz, 2004. "Determinants of Industrial Location Patterns in CEECs," wiiw Working Papers 32, The Vienna Institute for International Economic Studies, wiiw.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ilse Schulz).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.