Firm and Employee Effects of an Enterprise Information System: Micro-econometric Evidence
AbstractWe investigate the impact of adopting an enterprise resource planning (ERP) system on performance changes and employee outcomes in a retail chain. We find that: (i) sales and inventory turnover initially drop by 7 % and recover in 6-12 months; (ii) inventory turnover recovers more quickly for establishments that adopt ERP later; (iii) employee outcomes, including increased workload, greater job difficulty and enhanced multitasking, vary significantly over time, though implications for employee welfare are ambiguous.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan in its series William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series with number wp992.
Date of creation: 01 Jun 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 724 E. University Ave, Wyly Hall 1st Flr, Ann Arbor MI 48109
Phone: 734 763-5020
Fax: 734 763 5850
Web page: http://www.wdi.umich.edu
More information through EDIRC
enterprise resource planning; retailing; Finland; IT;
Other versions of this item:
- Jones, Derek C. & Kalmi, Panu & Kauhanen, Antti, 2011. "Firm and employee effects of an enterprise information system: Micro-econometric evidence," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 130(2), pages 159-168, April.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David H. Autor & Frank Levy & Richard J. Murnane, 2002. "Upstairs, downstairs: Computers and skills on two floors of a large bank," Industrial and Labor Relations Review, ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 55(3), pages 432-447, April.
- Timothy F. Bresnahan & Erik Brynjolfsson & Lorin M. Hitt, 1999.
"Information Technology, Workplace Organization and the Demand for Skilled Labor: Firm-Level Evidence,"
NBER Working Papers
7136, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Timothy F. Bresnahan & Erik Brynjolfsson & Lorin M. Hitt, 2002. "Information Technology, Workplace Organization, And The Demand For Skilled Labor: Firm-Level Evidence," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 117(1), pages 339-376, February.
- Maryellen R. Kelley, 1994. "Productivity and Information Technology: The Elusive Connection," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 40(11), pages 1406-1425, November.
- Erik Brynjolfsson & Lorin M. Hitt, 2000. "Beyond Computation: Information Technology, Organizational Transformation and Business Performance," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 14(4), pages 23-48, Fall.
- Chang, Man-Kit & Cheung, Waiman & Cheng, Chun-Hung & Yeung, Jeff H.Y., 2008. "Understanding ERP system adoption from the user's perspective," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 113(2), pages 928-942, June.
- Motwani, Jaideep & Mirchandani, Dinesh & Madan, Manu & Gunasekaran, A., 2002. "Successful implementation of ERP projects: Evidence from two case studies," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 75(1-2), pages 83-96, January.
- Plaza, Malgorzata & Rohlf, Katrin, 2008. "Learning and performance in ERP implementation projects: A learning-curve model for analyzing and managing consulting costs," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 115(1), pages 72-85, September.
- Botta-Genoulaz, Valerie & Millet, Pierre-Alain, 2006. "An investigation into the use of ERP systems in the service sector," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 99(1-2), pages 202-221, February.
- Hansen, Christian B., 2007. "Asymptotic properties of a robust variance matrix estimator for panel data when T is large," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 141(2), pages 597-620, December.
- Ram, Jiwat & Corkindale, David & Wu, Ming-Lu, 2013. "Implementation critical success factors (CSFs) for ERP: Do they contribute to implementation success and post-implementation performance?," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 144(1), pages 157-174.
- Bartholomew Watson, 2011. "Barcode Empires: Politics, Digital Technology, and Comparative Retail Firm Strategies," Journal of Industry, Competition and Trade, Springer, vol. 11(3), pages 309-324, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Laurie Gendron).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.