Foreign direct investment and wage bargaining
AbstractWe derive the sub-game perfect Nash equilibria for the foreign direct investment (FDI) game played between two unionised firms. Among other results, we show that FDI is less likely, ceteris paribus, the greater is union bargaining power, the stronger the weight the union attaches to wages, and the more substitutable are firms’ products in the potential host country. We derive results concerning the conditions under which FDI will be reciprocal. We also examine conditions under which the FDI game between firms will possess the characteristics of a Prisoners’ Dilemma. Finally, we consider the possibility that firms might delegate wage determination to unions as a method of strategic deterrence against entry by FDI.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Centre for the Study of Globalisation and Regionalisation (CSGR), University of Warwick in its series CSGR Working papers series with number 41/99.
Date of creation: Oct 1999
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Centre for the Study of Globalisation and Regionalisation (CSGR) University of Warwick Coventry CV4 7AL, U.K.
Phone: +44 (0) 1203 572 533
Fax: +44 (0) 1203 572 548
Web page: http://www.warwick.ac.uk/fac/soc/CSGR/
More information through EDIRC
Foreign direct investment; oligopoly; wage bargaining.;
Other versions of this item:
- Robin Naylor & Michele Santoni, 2003. "Foreign direct investment and wage bargaining," The Journal of International Trade & Economic Development, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(1), pages 1-18.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Dermot Leahy & Catia Montagna, 2005. "Union legislation and export platform FDI," The Journal of International Trade & Economic Development, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(4), pages 437-452.
- Aloi, Marta & Leite-Monteiro, Manuel & Lloyd-Braga, Teresa, 2009.
"Unionized labor markets and globalized capital markets,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 78(1), pages 149-153, June.
- Marta Aloi & Manuel Leite-Monteiro & Teresa Lloyd-Braga, . "Unionized Labor Markets and Globalized Capital Markets," Discussion Papers 08/10, University of Nottingham, Centre for Finance, Credit and Macroeconomics (CFCM).
- Dermot Leahy & Catia Montagna, 2004. "Union Bargaining Power, Labour Standards and Foreign Direct Investment," Dundee Discussion Papers in Economics 168, Economic Studies, University of Dundee.
- Palokangas, Tapio K., 2003. "Foreign Direct Investment, Labour Market Regulation and Self-Interested Governments," IZA Discussion Papers 793, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Palomino, Frederic & Sakovics, Jozsef, 2004.
"Inter-league competition for talent vs. competitive balance,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 22(6), pages 783-797, June.
- Frederic Palomino & Jozsef Sakovics, 2004. "Inter-league competition for talent vs. competitive balance," ESE Discussion Papers 96, Edinburgh School of Economics, University of Edinburgh.
- Choi, Kangsik, 2010. "The Timing of Endogenous Wage Setting under Bertrand Competition in a Unionized Mixed Duopoly," MPRA Paper 20205, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Tapio Palokangas, 2009. "Investment, expropriation, and unionization," Economics of Governance, Springer, vol. 10(1), pages 27-42, January.
- Junichiro Ishida & Noriaki Matsushima, 2005. "FDI may help rival firms," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 6(22), pages 1-8.
- Andreas Haufler & Ferdinand Mittermaier, 2008.
"Unionisation triggers tax incentives to attract foreign direct investment,"
052, Bavarian Graduate Program in Economics (BGPE).
- Andreas Haufler & Ferdinand Mittermaier, 2011. "Unionisation Triggers Tax Incentives to Attract Foreign Direct Investment," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 121(553), pages 793-818, 06.
- Haufler, Andreas & Mittermaier, Ferdinand, 2008. "Unionisation triggers tax incentives to attract foreign direct investment," Discussion Papers in Economics 3752, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Andreas Haufler & Ferdinand Mittermaier, 2008. "Unionisation Triggers Tax Incentives to Attract Foreign Direct Investment," CESifo Working Paper Series 2312, CESifo Group Munich.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:6:y:2005:i:22:p:1-8 is not listed on IDEAS
- Dermot Leahy & Catia Montagna, 2005. "Union Bargaining Power, Social Dumping, and Foreign Direct Investment," International Trade 0510001, EconWPA.
- Brännlund, Runar & Nordström, Jonas & Svedin, Dick, 2004. "Foreign ownership and effects on employment and wages: The case of Sweden," UmeÃ¥ Economic Studies 638, Umeå University, Department of Economics, revised 01 Nov 2004.
- Junichiro Ishida & Noriaki Matsushima, 2008. "Domestic Competition and Foreign Direct Investment in Unionized Oligopoly," ISER Discussion Paper 0757, Institute of Social and Economic Research, Osaka University, revised Oct 2009.
- Domenico Buccella, 2011. "Labor unions and economic integration: A review," Económica, Departamento de Economía, Facultad de Ciencias Económicas, Universidad Nacional de La Plata, vol. 0, pages 25-89, January-D.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.