Small Sample Properties of Panel Time-series Estimators with I(1) Errors
AbstractMonte Carlo simulations are used to explore the small-sample properties of a mean group and two pooled panel estimators of a regression coefficient when the regressor is I(1). We compare and contrast the effect of I(0) and I(1) errors and homogeneous and heterogeneous coefficients in a design based on two typical PPP panels. The results confirm that the asymptotic theory is relevant to practical applications. With I(0) errors and homogeneous coefficients, the estimators are unbiased, dispersion depends on the signal-noise ratio and falls at rate T(rootN) as expected. With I(1) errors and no cointegration, dispersion falls at rate rootN. When heterogeneity is introduced with I(0) errors, the dispersion of the pooled estimators falls at rate root N, but that of the mean group continues to fall at rate T(rootN). Finally, the pooled estimators are likely to lead to distorted inference both in the case of I(1) errors and the case of I(0) errors with heterogeneous coefficients case. The mean group estimators are, however, are generally correctly sized.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Warwick Business School, Finance Group in its series Working Papers with number wp01-08.
Date of creation: 2001
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- Jerry Coakley, Ana-Maria Fuertes, Ron Smith, 2001. "Small sample properties of panel time-series estimators with I(1) errors," Computing in Economics and Finance 2001 191, Society for Computational Economics.
- C32 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models; Diffusion Processes
- F31 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Exchange
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Jerry Coakley & Stuart Snaith, 2004. "Testing for Long Run Relative PPP in Europe," Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2004 34, Money Macro and Finance Research Group.
- Francis Teal & Markus Eberhardt, 2010.
"Productivity Analysis in Global Manufacturing Production,"
Economics Series Working Papers
515, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Markus Eberhardt & Francis Teal, 2008. "Modeling Technology and Technological Change in Manufacturing: How do Countries Differ?," CSAE Working Paper Series 2008-12, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- Markus Eberhardt & Francis Teal, 2010. "Productivity Analysis in Global Manufacturing Production," DEGIT Conference Papers c015_019, DEGIT, Dynamics, Economic Growth, and International Trade.
- Eberhardt, Markus & Teal, Francis, 2008. "Modeling technology and technological change in manufacturing: how do countries differ?," MPRA Paper 10690, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Saten Kumar & B. Bhaskara Rao, 2011.
"A Time‐series Approach to the Feldstein–Horioka Puzzle with Panel Data from the OECD Countries,"
The World Economy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 34(3), pages 473-485, 03.
- Kumar, Saten & Rao, B. Bhaskara, 2009. "A Time Series Approach to the Feldstein-Horioka Puzzle with Panel Data from the OECD Countries," MPRA Paper 18464, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jerry Coakley & Stuart Snaith, 2006.
"Testing for symmetry and proportionality in a European panel,"
Applied Financial Economics,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(1-2), pages 63-71.
- Jerry Coakley & Stuart Snaith, 2005. "Testing for symmetry and proportionality in a European panel," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(11), pages 745-752.
- Österholm, Pär, 2004. "Estimating the Relationship between Age Structure and GDP in the OECD Using Panel Cointegration Methods," Working Paper Series 2004:13, Uppsala University, Department of Economics.
- Helmut Herwartz & Fang Xu, 2009.
"Panel data model comparison for empirical saving-investment relations,"
Applied Economics Letters,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(8), pages 803-807.
- Herwartz, Helmut & Xu, Fang, 2006. "Panel data model comparison for empirical saving-investment relations," Economics Working Papers 2006,06, Christian-Albrechts-University of Kiel, Department of Economics.
- Noman, Abdullah, 2008.
"Testing for PPP in the Mean-Group Panel Regression Framework: Further Evidence,"
7825, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Abdullah Noman, 2008. "Testing for PPP in the mean-group panel rgression framework: further evidence," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 6(20), pages 1-12.
- Rocha, Fabiana, 2005. "Heterogeneity, cross section dependence and capital mobility in developing countries," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 89(1), pages 18-23, October.
- Jerry Coakley & Ana-Maria Fuertes & Andrew Wood, 2004.
"A new interpretation of the exchange rate-yield differential nexus,"
International Journal of Finance & Economics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 9(3), pages 201-218.
- Andrew Wood & Jerry Coakley & Ana-Maria Fuertes, 2003. "A New Interpretation of the Exchange Rate - Yield Differential Nexus," Computing in Economics and Finance 2003 160, Society for Computational Economics.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:6:y:2008:i:20:p:1-12 is not listed on IDEAS
- James Smith, 2008. "That elusive elasticity and the ubiquitous bias: is panel data a panacea?," Bank of England working papers 342, Bank of England.
- Jerry Coakley & Ana-Maria Fuertes & Fabio Spagnolo, 2004. "The Feldstein-Horioka puzzle is not as bad as you think," Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2003 17, Money Macro and Finance Research Group.
- Jerry Coakley & Ana-Maria Fuertes & Ron Smith, 2002. "A Principal Components Approach to Cross-Section Dependence in Panels," 10th International Conference on Panel Data, Berlin, July 5-6, 2002 B5-3, International Conferences on Panel Data.
- Fabiana Rocha, 2009. "Heterogeneity, saving-investment dynamics and capital mobility in Latin America," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 36(3), pages 611-619, June.
- Wörz, Julia & Francois, Joseph F., 2011. "Shifts in International Trade and Value Added from 1995 to 2007: Insights into the Drivers of Growth," Focus on European Economic Integration, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank), issue 3.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Rong Leng).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.