Recent experience with commercial bank debt reduction
AbstractThe authors review the case for market-based debt reduction and concerted debt reduction. They explain the new menu-based approach to debt reduction and discuss why it may be preferred to market-based and concerted debt reduction. In a review of the five recent debt-reduction agreements, they find that the menu approach indeed achieved debt reduction at substantially lower costs than a comparable market-based operation. By one measure, the five countries may have saved more than $8 billion. Even a menu-based approach to debt reduction, however, is unlikely to directly benefit the debtor financially. They find that the debtors suffered financial losses equal to a few percent of their GDPs. Indirect benefits, or efficiency gains associated with debt reduction, are necessary to make the operation benefit the debtor.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The World Bank in its series Policy Research Working Paper Series with number 995.
Date of creation: 31 Oct 1992
Date of revision:
Strategic Debt Management; Economic Theory&Research; Financial Intermediation; Environmental Economics&Policies; Banks&Banking Reform;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fernandez, Raquel & Ozler, Sule, 1991. "Debt concentration and secondary market prices," Policy Research Working Paper Series 570, The World Bank.
- Fernandez-Arias, Eduardo, 1991. "A dynamic bargaining model of sovereign debt," Policy Research Working Paper Series 778, The World Bank.
- Claessens, Stijn & van Wijnbergen, Sweder, 1990. "An option - pricing approach to secondary market debt : applied to Mexico," Policy Research Working Paper Series 333, The World Bank.
- van Wijnbergen, Sweder, 1991. "Debt Relief and Economic Growth in Mexico," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 5(3), pages 437-55, September.
- Fernandez-Arias, Eduardo, 1993. "Costs and benefits of debt and debt service reduction," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1169, The World Bank.
- Carmichael, Jeffrey, 1989. "The Debt Crisis: Where Do We Stand after Seven Years?," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 4(2), pages 121-42, July.
- Lamdany, R. & Underwood, J., 1989. "Illustrative Effects Of Voluntary Debt And Debt Service Reduction Operations," World Bank - Discussion Papers 66, World Bank.
- Eaton, Jonathan & Gersovitz, Mark, 1981. "Debt with Potential Repudiation: Theoretical and Empirical Analysis," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 48(2), pages 289-309, April.
- Paul R. Krugman, 1989. "Market-Based Debt-Reduction Schemes," NBER Working Papers 2587, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Charles C. Chang & Eduardo Fernández-Arias & Luis Serven, 1998.
"Measuring Aid Flows: A New Approach,"
Research Department Publications
4146, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Burnside, Craig & Fanizza, Domenico, 2001.
"Hiccups for HIPCs?,"
Working Paper Series
UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Klimenko, Mikhail M., 2002. "Trade interdependence, the international financial institutions, and the recent evolution of sovereign-debt renegotiations," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 58(1), pages 177-209, October.
- Fernandez-Arias, Eduardo, 1996.
"The new wave of private capital inflows: Push or pull?,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 48(2), pages 389-418, March.
- Fernandez-Arias, Eduardo & DEC, 1994. "The new wave of private capital inflows : push or pull?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1312, The World Bank.
- Charles C. Chang & Eduardo Fernández-Arias & Luis Serven, 1998. "Cuantificación de los flujos de asistencia: un nuevo enfoque," Research Department Publications 4147, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Bulow, Jeremy & Rogoff, Kenneth & Ning S. Zhu & DEC & a descri & Buyback arrangements, 1994. "Estimating the efficiency gains of debt restructuring," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1317, The World Bank.
- Prokop, Jacek, 1995. "Organized debt buybacks: No cure for free riding?," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(2), pages 481-496, August.
- Montiel, Peter J., 1993. "Fiscal aspects of developing countrydebt problems and debt and debt-service reduction operations : a conceptual framework," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1073, The World Bank.
- Brown, Martin & Lane, Philip R., 2011. "Debt overhang in emerging Europe ?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5784, The World Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.