Sources of World Bank estimates of current mortality rates
AbstractThe paper discusses the sources of the infant mortality rate (IMR) and life expectancy at birth for each of the 186 countries for which the Population and Human Resources Department at the World Bank makes demographic estimates and projections. Its purpose is to give some background on the derivation of mortality estimates used in the World Bank's demographic estimates and projections to provide users of the data with information on their recency and reliability. The paper does this through a general discussion of mortality projection methodology and a listing of the sources and assumptions used in constructing estimates for individual countries. The paper consists of two sections: the first section gives an overview of the sources, discusses their nature, and explains the projection methodology used to obtain current estimates; and the second section provides the documentation of mortality sources for each country, organized by region.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The World Bank in its series Policy Research Working Paper Series with number 851.
Date of creation: 29 Feb 1992
Date of revision:
Health Information&Communications Technologies; Health Monitoring&Evaluation; Demographics; Health Indicators;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Lorentzen, Peter L. & McMillan, John & Wacziarg, Romain, 2005.
"Death and Development,"
CEPR Discussion Papers, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers
5246, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Peter Lorentzen & John McMillan & Romain Wacziarg, 2005. "Death and Development," NBER Working Papers 11620, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Peter Lorentzen & John McMillan & Romain Wacziarg, 2006. "Death and Development," 2006 Meeting Papers, Society for Economic Dynamics 61, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Lant Pritchett & Lawrence H. Summers, 1996.
"Wealthier is Healthier,"
Journal of Human Resources,
University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 31(4), pages 841-868.
- Yoko Akachi & David Canning, 2008. "The Mortality and Morbidity Transitions in Sub-Saharan Africa: Evidence from Adult Heights," PGDA Working Papers, Program on the Global Demography of Aging 3308, Program on the Global Demography of Aging.
- Akachi, Yoko & Canning, David, 2010. "Health trends in Sub-Saharan Africa: Conflicting evidence from infant mortality rates and adult heights," Economics & Human Biology, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 273-288, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.