Public sector debt, fiscal deficits, and economic adjustment : a comparative study of six EMENA countries
AbstractThe authors analyzed the experience of six countries (Algeria, Morocco, Pakistan, Portugal, Turkey, and Yugoslavia) and compared it with the experiences of Latin American countries. They conclude that some countries successfully absorbed the external shock of the 1980s by: (a) minimizing the effects of the external shock by combining external and domestic debt strategies; (b) adjusting their fiscal deficits; (c) experiencing a positive external shock; and (d) fostering growth by stimulating export growth and developing domestic financial markets. No single country fully implemented this strategy; those most successful in doing so were Morocco, Portugal, and Turkey. Their experience contrasts with that of some Latin American countries that experienced a similar external shock but failed to undertake fiscal adjustment and financed most of their deficit through money finance - thus experiencing high inflation levels and overburdening their private sector. In some respects, Yugoslavia had the same experience.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The World Bank in its series Policy Research Working Paper Series with number 840.
Date of creation: 31 Jan 1992
Date of revision:
Environmental Economics&Policies; Economic Theory&Research; Strategic Debt Management; Economic Stabilization; Public Sector Economics&Finance;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Easterly, William & Schmidt-Hebbel, Klaus, 1991. "The macroeconomics of public sector deficits : a synthesis," Policy Research Working Paper Series 775, The World Bank.
- Fischer, Stanley & Easterly, William, 1990. "The Economic of the Government Budget Constraint," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, World Bank Group, vol. 5(2), pages 127-42, July.
- Vito Tanzi, 1977. "Inflation, Lags in Collection, and the Real Value of Tax Revenue (L'inflation, les retards de recouvrement et la valeur rÃ©elle des recettes fiscales) (InflaciÃ³n, desfases en la recaudaciÃ³n y ," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 24(1), pages 154-167, March.
- Faini, Riccardo, 1991. "The macroeconomics of the public sector deficit : the case of Morocco," Policy Research Working Paper Series 631, The World Bank.
- Jean-Claude Chouraqui & Brian Jones & Robert Bruce Montador, 1986. "Public Debt in a Medium-Term Context and Its Implications for Fiscal Policy," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 30, OECD Publishing.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.