Reducing labor redundancy in state owned enterprises
AbstractThis paper focuses on what determines labor redundancy in selected modes of transport (rails, ports, and buses) in six countries: Brazil, Chile, Ghana, Mauritius, Sri Lanka, and Yugoslavia. It also analyzes different approaches for solving the problem, and concludes that analysis of the labor redundancy problem in public transportation enterprises has been neglected because conceptually it is not a simple, easily identifiable phenomenon and because its treatment is often politically controversial, as it affects social welfare. Governments tend to approach the problem only when circumstances are extreme (budget stress or near-complete breakdown of the transport system). Solutions are then hammered out in a tense environment, with no longer-term vision of the optimal employment and pay practices. This paper also presents a framework for identifying labor redundancy within different countries whose social welfare functions vary in the relative weight given to efficiency and equity . Redundancy-reduction schemes can have a high rate of return and still be socially acceptable. But, cash flow problems may necessitate the assistance of international donor agencies. Attention must be paid to how this compensation is administered, as it can make a difference to the workers'welfare.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The World Bank in its series Policy Research Working Paper Series with number 792.
Date of creation: 31 Oct 1991
Date of revision:
Banks&Banking Reform; Municipal Financial Management; Health Monitoring&Evaluation; Environmental Economics&Policies; Labor Management and Relations;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- MaCurdy, Thomas E & Pencavel, John H, 1986. "Testing between Competing Models of Wage and Employment Determination in Unionized Markets," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 94(3), pages S3-S39, June.
- Brown, James N & Ashenfelter, Orley, 1986. "Testing the Efficiency of Employment Contracts," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 94(3), pages S40-S87, June.
- Harding, Alan S., 1990. "Restrictive labor practices in seaports," Policy Research Working Paper Series 514, The World Bank.
- David Card, 1986.
"Efficient Contracts with Costly Adjustment: Short-RUn Employment Determination for Airline Mechanics,"
NBER Working Papers
1931, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Card, David, 1986. "Efficient Contracts with Costly Adjustment: Short-run Employment Determination for Airline Mechanics," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 76(5), pages 1045-71, December.
- Brada, Josef C, 1989. "Technological Progress and Factor Utilization in Eastern European Economic Growth," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 56(224), pages 433-48, November.
- Krueger, Alan B & Summers, Lawrence H, 1988. "Efficiency Wages and the Inter-industry Wage Structure," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 56(2), pages 259-93, March.
- Alberto Chong & Florencio Lopez-de-Silanes, 2014.
"Privatization and Labor Force Restructuring Around the World,"
Annals of Economics and Finance,
Society for AEF, vol. 15(2), pages 535-591, November.
- Chong, Alberto & Lopez-de-Silanes, Florencio, 2002. "Privatization and labor force restructuring around the world," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2884, The World Bank.
- Alberto Chong & Florencio Lopez-de-Silanes, 2003. "Privatization and Labor Force Restructuring Around the World," Research Department Publications 4329, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Alberto Chong & Florencio Lopez-de-Silanes, 2003. "La privatización y la reestructuración de la fuerza laboral en todo el mundo," Research Department Publications 4330, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Rama,Martin G., 1997. "Efficient public sector downsizing," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1840, The World Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.