An empirical macroeconomic model for policy design : the case of Chile
AbstractThe authors construct, estimate, and simulate a macroeconomic model for Chile. This model allows aggregate supply and demand factors to interact in determining such key economic variables as inflation, the real wage, the real exchange rate, real output and employment, and the current account balance. The model ensures the consistency of different aggregates by imposing the relevant budget constraints on the fiscal sector, the central bank, and the balance of payments. To this consistent framework, the model adds behavioral equations with sound analytical foundations. The authors use model simulations to explore the effects of domestic policies and external shocks (like a balanced-budget fiscal expansion, a policy of increased growth in minimum wages, a fall in world copper prices, and an oil price shock). These simulations help illustrate the effects of economic policies and external factors that shape current policy discussions in Chile.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The World Bank in its series Policy Research Working Paper Series with number 709.
Date of creation: 30 Jun 1991
Date of revision:
Economic Theory&Research; Environmental Economics&Policies; Economic Stabilization; Macroeconomic Management; Inequality;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Kemme, David M. & Roy, Saktinil, 2006.
"Real exchange rate misalignment: Prelude to crisis?,"
Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 207-230, October.
- David M. Kemme & Saktinil Roy, 2005. "Real Exchange Rate Misalignment: Prelude to Crisis?," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series wp797, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Etienne B. Yehoue & Gilles J. DufrÃ©not, 2005. "Real Exchange Rate Misalignment: A Panel Co-Integration and Common Factor Analysis," IMF Working Papers 05/164, International Monetary Fund.
- Hanan Morsy, 2010.
"Current Account Determinants For Oil-Exporting Countries,"
511, Economic Research Forum, revised Mar 2010.
- Hanan Morsy, 2009. "Current Account Determinants for Oil-Exporting Countries," IMF Working Papers 09/28, International Monetary Fund.
- Schmidt-Hebbel, Klaus & Serven, Luis, 1995. "Fiscal and monetary contraction in Chile : a rational-expectations approach," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1472, The World Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.