Tapering talk : the impact of expectations of reduced federal reserve security purchases on emerging markets
AbstractIn May 2013, Federal Reserve officials first began to talk of the possibility of tapering their security purchases. This tapering talk had a sharp negative impact on emerging markets. Different countries, however, were affected very differently. This paper uses data on exchange rates, foreign reserves and equity prices between April and August 2013 to analyze who was hit and why. It finds that emerging markets that allowed the real exchange rate to appreciate and the current account deficit to widen during the prior period of quantitative easing saw the sharpest impact. Better fundamentals (the budget deficit, the public debt, the level of reserves, or the rate of economic growth) did not provide insulation. A more important determinant of the differential impact was the size of the country's financial market: countries with larger markets experienced more pressure on the exchange rate, foreign reserves, and equity prices. This is interpreted as showing that investors are better able to rebalance their portfolios when the target country has a relatively large and liquid financial market.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The World Bank in its series Policy Research Working Paper Series with number 6754.
Date of creation: 01 Jan 2014
Date of revision:
Debt Markets; Currencies and Exchange Rates; Emerging Markets; Economic Theory&Research; Macroeconomic Management;
Other versions of this item:
- Eichengreen, Barry & Gupta, Poonam, 2014. "Tapering Talk: The Impact of Expectations of Reduced Federal Reserve Security Purchases on Emerging Markets," MPRA Paper 53040, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- F3 - International Economics - - International Finance
- F32 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Current Account Adjustment; Short-term Capital Movements
- F42 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - International Policy Coordination and Transmission
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2014-02-02 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBA-2014-02-02 (Central Banking)
- NEP-MON-2014-02-02 (Monetary Economics)
- NEP-OPM-2014-02-02 (Open Economy Macroeconomics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lane, Philip R. & Milesi-Ferretti, Gian Maria, 2006.
"The External Wealth of Nations Mark II: Revised and Extended Estimates of Foreign Assets and Liabilities, 1970-2004,"
CEPR Discussion Papers, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers
5644, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Lane, Philip R. & Milesi-Ferretti, Gian Maria, 2007. "The external wealth of nations mark II: Revised and extended estimates of foreign assets and liabilities, 1970-2004," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 73(2), pages 223-250, November.
- Philip R. Lane & Gian Maria Milesi-Ferretti, 2006. "The External Wealth of Nations Mark II: Revised and Extended Estimates of Foreign Assets and Liabilities,1970–2004," The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series, IIIS iiisdp126, IIIS.
- Kaufmann, Daniel & Kraay, Aart & Mastruzzi, Massimo, 2010. "The worldwide governance indicators : methodology and analytical issues," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5430, The World Bank.
Blog mentionsAs found by EconAcademics.org, the blog aggregator for Economics research:
- Comment lâanticipation du tapering affecte-t-elle les pays Ã©mergents ?
by ? in D'un champ l'autre on 2014-02-01 14:50:00
- Comment les annonces du tapering se transmettent aux pays Ã©mergents
by ? in D'un champ l'autre on 2014-03-18 09:21:00
- Joshua Aizenman & Mahir Binici & Michael M. Hutchison, 2014.
"The Transmission of Federal Reserve Tapering News to Emerging Financial Markets,"
NBER Working Papers
19980, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Aizenman, Joshua & Binici, Mahir & Hutchison, Michael M, 2014. "The Transmission of Federal Reserve Tapering News to Emerging Financial Markets," Santa Cruz Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt7n17z9km, Department of Economics, UC Santa Cruz.
- Choy, Marylin & Cerna, Jorge, 2014. "Comportamiento de los mercados financieros peruanos ante el anuncio del tapering," Working Papers, Banco Central de Reserva del PerÃº 2014-011, Banco Central de Reserva del Perú.
- Richhild Moessner, 2014. "International spillovers from US forward guidance to equity markets," DNB Working Papers, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department 427, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.