The real exchange rate and export growth : are services different ?
AbstractThis paper considers the determinants of exports of modern services and traditional services. It considers the growth of export volumes as well as export surges, that is, the periods of rapid sustained export growth. It asks whether the determinants of export growth rates and export surges differ between merchandise, traditional services, and modern services and whether developing countries are different. It confirm the importance of the real exchange rate for export growth. The paper finds that the effect of the real exchange rate is even stronger for exports of services than for exports of goods and that it is especially strong for exports of modern services. The results suggest that in the course of their development, as developing countries shift from exporting commodities and merchandise to exporting traditional and modern services, appropriate policies toward the real exchange rate become even more important.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The World Bank in its series Policy Research Working Paper Series with number 6629.
Date of creation: 01 Sep 2013
Date of revision:
Macroeconomic Management; Economic Theory&Research; Economic Stabilization; Emerging Markets; Achieving Shared Growth;
Other versions of this item:
- Eichengreen, Barry & Gupta, Poonam, 2012. "The Real Exchange Rate and Export Growth: Are Services Different?," MPRA Paper 43358, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Eichengreen, Barry & Gupta, Poonam, 2012. "The Real Exchange Rate and Export Growth: Are Services Different?," Working Papers 12/112, National Institute of Public Finance and Policy.
- F15 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Economic Integration
- F43 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - Economic Growth of Open Economies
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Borchert, Ingo & Mattoo, Aaditya, 2009.
"The crisis-resilience of services trade,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
4917, The World Bank.
- Luis ServÃ©n, 2003. "Real-Exchange-Rate Uncertainty and Private Investment in LDCS," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 85(1), pages 212-218, February.
- Freund, Caroline & Pierola, Martha Denisse, 2012. "Export surges," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 97(2), pages 387-395.
- Nicolas Berman & Philippe Martin & Thierry Mayer, 2012. "How do Different Exporters React to Exchange Rate Changes?," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 127(1), pages 437-492.
- Simon Johnson & Jonathan D. Ostry & Arvind Subramanian, 2007. "The Prospects for Sustained Growth in Africa: Benchmarking the Constraints," NBER Working Papers 13120, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Haddad, Mona & Pancaro, Cosimo, 2010.
"Can Real Exchange Rate Undervaluation Boost Exports and Growth in Developing Countries? Yes, But Not for Long,"
World Bank - Economic Premise, The World Bank,
The World Bank, issue 20, pages 1-5, June.
- Mona Haddad & Cosimo Pancaro, 2010. "Can Real Exchange Rate Undervaluation Boost Exports and Growth in Developing Countries? Yes, But Not for Long," World Bank Other Operational Studies 10178, The World Bank.
- Gupta, Poonam & Mishra, Deepak & Sahay, Ratna, 2007. "Behavior of output during currency crises," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 72(2), pages 428-450, July.
- BAI, Jushan & PERRON, Pierre, 1998.
"Computation and Analysis of Multiple Structural-Change Models,"
Cahiers de recherche, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques
9807, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Jushan Bai & Pierre Perron, 2003. "Computation and analysis of multiple structural change models," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 18(1), pages 1-22.
- Luis ServÃ©n, 2003. "ERRATUM: Real-Exchange-Rate Uncertainty and Private Investment in LDCs," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 85(2), pages 492-492, May.
- Yin-wong Cheung & Menzie D. Chinn & Eiji Fujii, 2006. "The Illusion of Precision and the Role of the Renminbi in Regional Integration," Working Papers 182006, Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research.
- Cheung, Yin-Wong & Sengupta, Rajeswari, 2012.
"Impact of exchange rate movements on exports: an analysis of Indian non-financial sector firms,"
43118, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Cheung, Yin-Wong & Sengupta, Rajeswari, 2013. "Impact of exchange rate movements on exports: An analysis of Indian non-financial sector firms," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 39(C), pages 231-245.
- Cheung , Yin-Wong & Sengupta , Rajeswari, 2013. "Impact of exchange rate movements on exports: An analysis of Indian non-financial sector firms," BOFIT Discussion Papers 10/2013, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Yin-Wong Cheung & Rajeswari Sengupta, 2013. "Impact of Exchange Rate Movements on Exports: An Analysis of Indian Non-Financial Sector Firms," CESifo Working Paper Series 4214, CESifo Group Munich.
- Katalin BodnÃ¡r & GyÃ¶rgy MolnÃ¡r & GÃ¡bor PellÃ©nyi & Lajos SzabÃ³ & Judit VÃ¡rhegyi, 2013. "Dynamics of the trade balance and developments in exports and imports," MNB Bulletin, Magyar Nemzeti Bank (the central bank of Hungary), Magyar Nemzeti Bank (the central bank of Hungary), vol. 8(Special), pages 37-45, October.
- Augusto de la Torre & Eduardo Levy Yeyati & Samuel Pienknagura, . "Latin America’s Deceleration and the Exchange Rate Buffer : LAC Semiannual Report, October 2013," World Bank Other Operational Studies 16107, The World Bank.
- Brixiova, Zuzana & Ncube, Mthuli, 2014. "The Real Exchange Rate and Growth in Zimbabwe: Does the Currency Regime Matter?," IZA Discussion Papers 8398, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.