Guide to the services trade restrictions database
AbstractA new Services Trade Restrictions Database collects and makes publicly available information on services trade policy assembled in a comparable manner across 103 countries, five sectors (telecommunications, finance, transportation, retail and professional services) and the key modes of service supply. It contains richly textured policy information as well as a preliminary quantification of policy measures. This paper is a guide to the database, and provides a description of the data, how it was collected, how policy information was quantified, and how the data are presented in the publicly available, interactive Web database. The database is best seen as a first response to the strong demand for better information from policy-makers, negotiators, researchers and the private sector. Even in its present version, the database can play an important role in advancing policy reform by facilitating the analysis of services policies, informing international negotiations by providing data on actual policies, and provoking dialogue and refinements by making information on policies publicly available. Through feedback from various interested parties, the database may evolve into a collectively created public good.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The World Bank in its series Policy Research Working Paper Series with number 6108.
Date of creation: 01 Jun 2012
Date of revision:
Transport Economics Policy&Planning; Public Sector Corruption&Anticorruption Measures; Banks&Banking Reform; ICT Policy and Strategies; Emerging Markets;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-07-08 (All new papers)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Marine George, 2013. "Does cross-border regulation really influence cross-border trade? Evidence from the Services Trade Restrictions Index," Post-Print dumas-00909960, HAL.
- Borchert, Ingo & Gootiiz, Batshur & Mattoo, Aaditya, 2012. "Policy barriers to international trade in services : evidence from a new database," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6109, The World Bank.
- van der Marel, Erik & Shepherd, Ben, 2013. "International tradability indices for services," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6712, The World Bank.
- Cusolito, Ana Paula & Hollweg, Claire H., 2013. "Trade policy barriers: an obstacle to export diversification in Eurasia," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6434, The World Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.