Rent sharing in the multi-fibre arrangement : theory and evidence from US apparel imports from Hong Kong
AbstractAvailable estimates of tariff equivalents of quotas and welfare calculations on the costs of multi-fibre arrangements (MFA) for developing countries are based on the premise of perfect competition in both product and license markets. It is also assumed that the exporting countries that administer the MFA quotas receive all the scarcity rents. The authors argue that, in the presence of market power on the buyers'side in the product markets combined with concentration in the license markets, the importing countries might retain part of this rent. Although the impact of imperfect competition on rent appropriation has been analyzed in literature, rent sharing has so far been ignored in both analytical and empirical work. This paper makes a theoretical case for rent sharing, and then analyzes U.S. imports of apparel products from Hong Kong. The authors find that rent sharing substantially affects the estimated magnitude of welfare losses that exporting developing countries suffer because of MFA quotas.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The World Bank in its series Policy Research Working Paper Series with number 597.
Date of creation: 28 Feb 1991
Date of revision:
Access to Markets; Markets and Market Access; Economic Theory&Research; Environmental Economics&Policies; Health Economics&Finance;
Other versions of this item:
- Krishna, Kala & Erzan, Refik & Tan, Ling Hui, 1994. "Rent Sharing in the Multi-fibre Arrangement: Theory and Evidence from U.S. Apparel Imports from Hong Kong," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 2(1), pages 62-73, February.
- Kala Krishna & Refik Erzan & Ling Hui Tan, 1991. "Rent Sharing in the Multi-Fibre Arrangement: Theory and Evidence from US Apparel Imports from Hong Kong," NBER Working Papers 3673, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Krishna, K. & Erzan, R. & Tan, L.H., 1991. "Rent Sharing In The Multi-Fibre Arrangement: Theory And Evidence From Us Apparel Imports From Hong Kong," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1549, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Irene Trela & John Whalley, 1988.
"Do Developing Countries Lose From the MFA?,"
NBER Working Papers
2618, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Trela, I. & Whalley, J., 1988. "Do Developing Countries Lose From The Mfa?," University of Western Ontario, The Centre for the Study of International Economic Relations Working Papers 8804c, University of Western Ontario, The Centre for the Study of International Economic Relations.
- Kala Krishna, 1985. "Tariffs vs. Quotas with Endogenous Quality," NBER Working Papers 1535, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Carlos Alfredo Rodriguez, 1979. "The Quality of Imports and the Differential Welfare Effects of Tariffs, Quotas, and Quality Controls as Protective Devices," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 12(3), pages 439-49, August.
- Kala Krishna, 1988. "The Case of the Vanishing Revenues: Auction Quotas With Oligopoly," NBER Working Papers 2723, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hamilton, Carl, 1986. "An Assessment of Voluntary Restraints on Hong Kong Exports to Europe and the USA," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 53(211), pages 339-50, August.
- Kala Krishna & Kathleen Hogan & Phillip Swagel, 1989. "The Non-Optimality of Optimal Trade Policy: The U.S. Automobile Indust ry Revisited, 1979-1985," NBER Working Papers 3118, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Richard E. Baldwin & Paul Krugman, 1986. "Market Access and International Competition: A Simulation Study of 16K Random Access Memories," NBER Working Papers 1936, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Erzan, Refik & Holmes, Christopher, 1992. "The restrictiveness of the multi-fibre arrangement on Eastern European trade," Policy Research Working Paper Series 860, The World Bank.
- James E. Anderson, 1997.
"Revenue Neutral Trade Reform with Many Households, Quotas and Tariffs,"
NBER Working Papers
6181, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Anderson, J-E, 1997. "Revenue Neutral Trade Reform With Many Households, Quotas and Tariffs," Papers 626, Stockholm - International Economic Studies.
- Anderson, James E., 1997. "Revenue Neutral Trade Reform with Many Households, Quotas and Tariffs," Seminar Papers 626, Stockholm University, Institute for International Economic Studies.
- James E. Anderson, 1999.
"Trade Reform Diagnostics with Many Households, Quotas, and Tariffs,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
417, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 03 May 2000.
- Anderson, James E, 2002. "Trade Reform Diagnostics with Many Households, Quotas, and Tariffs," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 10(2), pages 215-36, May.
- Kenneth Hanson & Kenneth Reinert, 1997. "The Distributional Effects of U.S. Textile and Apparel Protection," International Economic Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(3), pages 1-12.
- Silva, Peri, 2005.
"The role of importers and exporters in the determination of the U.S. tariff preferenes granted to Latin America,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
3518, The World Bank.
- Silva, Peri, 2011. "The role of importers and exporters in the determination of the U.S. tariff preferences granted to Latin America," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 94(2), pages 207-219, March.
- Montfort Mlachila & Yongzheng Yang, 2004. "The End of Textiles Quotas," IMF Working Papers 04/108, International Monetary Fund.
- Faini, R. & Melo, J. de & Takacs, W., 1992.
"A Primer on the MFA Maze,"
Research Papers by the Institute of Economics and Econometrics, Geneva School of Economics and Management, University of Geneva
92.15, Institut d'Economie et Econométrie, Université de Genève.
- Meenu Tiwari, 2006. "The Role of Price and cost Competitiveness in Apparel Exports, post MFA: A Review," Working Papers id:485, eSocialSciences.
- Bannister, Geoffrey J., 1993. "Rent-sharing in the multi-fibre arrangement : the case of Mexico," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1191, The World Bank.
- Lahiri, Sajal & Raimondos, Pascalis, 1995. "Welfare effects of aid under quantitative trade restrictions," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(3-4), pages 297-315, November.
- Geoffrey Bannister, 1994. "Rent sharing in the multi-fibre arrangement: The case of Mexico," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 130(4), pages 800-827, December.
- Hertel, Thomas W. & Bach, Christian F. & Dimaranan, Betina & Martin, Will, 1996. "Growth, globalization, and gains from the Uruguay Round," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1614, The World Bank.
- Jarvis, Lovell S., 2003. "How Brazil Transferred Billions To Foreign Coffee Importers: The International Coffee Agreement, Rent Seeking And Export Tax Rebates," Working Papers 11967, University of California, Davis, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
- Krishna, Kala & Martin, Will & Tan, Ling Hui, 1997. "Imputing license prices: limitations of a cost-based approach," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 52(2), pages 355-374, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.