Countercyclical financial regulation
AbstractThe global financial crisis has focused much attention on procyclicality, particularly in the context of a macroprudential framework. This paper reviews a set of prudential measures that can be adopted by national authorities to deal with procyclicality and discusses issues in designing and implementing such measures. For developing countries, in addition to some general considerations on policy design and implementation, a range of issues may warrant special attention. These include the balance between financial stability and financial development objectives, selection and calibration of policy instruments according to national circumstances and taking into account data limitations and capacity constraints as well as other practical challenges, and continued efforts to improve supervisory independence, supervisory powers and analytical capacity and to ensure adequate resources in order to perform the required tasks. Given the limited practical experience with countercyclical prudential measures, developing countries (as well as developed countries) will have to ascend a learning curve and experiment with select instruments while carefully monitoring and evaluating their effectiveness over time before a framework matures.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The World Bank in its series Policy Research Working Paper Series with number 5823.
Date of creation: 01 Oct 2011
Date of revision:
Banks&Banking Reform; Debt Markets; Emerging Markets; Bankruptcy and Resolution of Financial Distress; Currencies and Exchange Rates;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jonathan David Ostry & Atish R. Ghosh & Karl Friedrich Habermeier & Marcos Chamon & Mahvash Saeed Qureshi & Dennis B. S. Reinhardt, 2010. "Capital Inflows," IMF Staff Position Notes 2010/04, International Monetary Fund.
- Gordy, Michael B. & Howells, Bradley, 2006. "Procyclicality in Basel II: Can we treat the disease without killing the patient?," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 395-417, July.
- Jonathan Fiechter & Inci Ã–tker & Anna Ilyina & Michael Hsu & Andre Santos & Jay Surti, 2011. "Subsidiaries or Branches," IMF Staff Discussion Notes 11/04, International Monetary Fund.
- Torsten Wezel, 2010. "Dynamic Loan Loss Provisions in Uruguay," IMF Working Papers 10/125, International Monetary Fund.
- Giovanni Dell'Ariccia & Pau Rabanal & Christopher W. Crowe & Deniz Igan, 2011.
"Policies for Macrofinancial Stability,"
IMF Staff Discussion Notes
11/02, International Monetary Fund.
- Mathias Drehmann & Claudio Borio & Leonardo Gambacorta & Gabriel Jiminez & Carlos Trucharte, 2010. "Countercyclical capital buffers: exploring options," BIS Working Papers 317, Bank for International Settlements.
- Laux, Christian & Leuz, Christian, 2009.
"The crisis of fair-value accounting: Making sense of the recent debate,"
Accounting, Organizations and Society,
Elsevier, vol. 34(6-7), pages 826-834, August.
- Laux, Christian & Leuz, Christian, 2009. "The crisis of fair value accounting: Making sense of the recent debate," CFS Working Paper Series 2009/09, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Ramon Moreno, 2011. "Policymaking from a "macroprudential" perspective in emerging market economies," BIS Working Papers 336, Bank for International Settlements.
- Santiago FernÃ¡ndez de Lis & Alicia Garcia-Herrero, 2010. "Dynamic provisioning: Some lessons from existing experiences," Working Papers 1014, BBVA Bank, Economic Research Department.
- Jonathan David Ostry & Atish R. Ghosh & Karl Friedrich Habermeier & Luc Laeven & Marcos Chamon & Mahvash Saeed Qureshi & Annamaria Kokenyne, 2011. "Managing Capital Inflows," IMF Staff Discussion Notes 11/06, International Monetary Fund.
- Santiago FernÃƒÂ¡ndez de Lis & Alicia Garcia-Herrero, 2010. "Dynamic Provisioning : Some Lessons from Existing Experiences," Finance Working Papers 21882, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.