Chile's experience with stabilization, revisited
AbstractThis paper evaluates Chile's stabilization policies since the early 1970s. Four episodes are examined: (a) the high inflation at the beginning of the military regime when inflation was close to 1000 percent per year; (b) the orthodox stabilization program of 1975; (c) the exchange rate-based stabilization of February 1978-June 1982; and (d) the post-1984 adjustment period with a large real devaluation and low inflation. Finally an overall evaluation of the post-1973 experience with stabilization is provided.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The World Bank in its series Policy Research Working Paper Series with number 579.
Date of creation: 31 Jan 1991
Date of revision:
Economic Theory&Research; Economic Stabilization; Environmental Economics&Policies; Macroeconomic Management; Access to Markets;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- L. Wade, 1988. "Review," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 58(1), pages 99-100, July.
- Fischer, Stanley, 1988. "Real Balances, the Exchange Rate, and Indexation: Real Variables in Disinflation," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 103(1), pages 27-49, February.
- Edward, Sebastian, 1986.
"Are Devaluations Contractionary?,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 68(3), pages 501-08, August.
- International Monetary Fund, 1990. "Capital Mobility in Developing Countries," IMF Working Papers 90/117, International Monetary Fund.
- Stanley Fischer, 1984. "Real Balances, the Exchange Rate and Indexation: Real Variables in Disinflation," NBER Working Papers 1497, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Corbo, Vittorio, 1982. "Monetary policy with an overrestricted demand for money equation : Chile in the 60's," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 119-126, February.
- Corbo, Vittorio & de Melo, Jaime, 1987. "Lessons from the Southern Cone Policy Reforms," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 2(2), pages 111-42, July.
- Solimano, Andres, 1986. "Contractionary devaluation in the southern cone : The case of Chile," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 135-151, September.
- Robert S. Pindyck & Andres Solimano, 1993.
"Economic Instability and Aggregate Investment,"
NBER Working Papers
4380, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pindyck, Robert S. & Solimano, Andrés., 1993. "Economic instability and aggregate investment," Working papers 3552-93., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Pindyck, Robert S. & Solimano, Andres, 1993. "Economic instability and aggregate investment," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1148, The World Bank.
- Laurence Ball, 1993. "The Dynamics of High Inflation," NBER Working Papers 4578, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- C. Pietrobelli, 1994.
"Trade liberalisation and industrial response: the case of Chile (1974-1987),"
BNL Quarterly Review,
Banca Nazionale del Lavoro, vol. 47(191), pages 431-468.
- C. Pietrobelli, 1994. "Trade liberalisation and industrial response: the case of Chile (1974-1987)," Banca Nazionale del Lavoro Quarterly Review, Banca Nazionale del Lavoro, vol. 47(191), pages 431-468.
- Felipe Larraín, . "Estabilización, Tipo de Cambio Real e Ingresos Fiscales," Documentos de Trabajo 173, Instituto de Economia. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile..
- Dornbusch, Rudiger & Fischer, Stanley, 1993.
World Bank Economic Review,
World Bank Group, vol. 7(1), pages 1-44, January.
- Felipe Larraín, 1997. "Estabilización, Tipo de Cambio e Ingresos Fiscales: El Contexto Latinoamericano," Latin American Journal of Economics-formerly Cuadernos de Economía, Instituto de Economía. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile., vol. 34(102), pages 161-188.
- Solimano, Andrés, 2007. "Employment creation, real wages and job quality : how much aggregate economic growth delivers? The case of Chile," ILO Working Papers 397932, International Labour Organization.
- Patricio Rojas & Vittorio Corbo, 1992. "Crecimiento Económico de América Latina," Latin American Journal of Economics-formerly Cuadernos de Economía, Instituto de Economía. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile., vol. 29(87), pages 265-294.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Calvo, Guillermo & Vegh, Carlos, 1994.
"Targeting the real exchange rate: Theory and evidence,"
13412, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Calvo, Guillermo A. & Reinhart, Carmen M. & Vegh, Carlos A., 1995. "Targeting the real exchange rate: theory and evidence," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 97-133, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.