The impact of business environment reforms on new firm registration
AbstractThis paper uses panel data on the number of new firm registrations in 91 countries to study how the ease of registering a business and the magnitude of registration reforms affect new firm registrations. The authors find that the costs, days and procedures required to start a business are important predictors of the number of new firm registrations. However, they find that small reforms, in general less than a 40 percent reduction in procedures or 50 to 60 percent reduction in costs and days, do not have a significant effect on new registrations. They also find important synergies in multiple reforms of two or more business environment indicators. Finally, they show that countries with relatively weaker business environments prior to reforms require relatively larger reforms in order to impact the number of newly registered firms.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The World Bank in its series Policy Research Working Paper Series with number 5493.
Date of creation: 01 Dec 2010
Date of revision:
Environmental Economics&Policies; E-Business; Enterprise Development&Reform; Competitiveness and Competition Policy; Business in Development;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- C. Praag & Peter Versloot, 2007.
"What is the value of entrepreneurship? A review of recent research,"
Small Business Economics,
Springer, vol. 29(4), pages 351-382, December.
- C. Mirjam van Praag & Peter H. Versloot, 2007. "What is the Value of Entrepreneurship? A Review of Recent Research," Jena Economic Research Papers 2007-061, Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena, Max-Planck-Institute of Economics.
- C. Mirjam van Praag & Peter H. Versloot, 2007. "What is the Value of Entrepreneurship? A Review of Recent Research," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 07-066/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- van Praag, Mirjam & Versloot, Peter H., 2007. "What Is the Value of Entrepreneurship? A Review of Recent Research," IZA Discussion Papers 3014, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Klapper, Leora & Richmond, Christine, 2011.
"Patterns of business creation, survival and growth: Evidence from Africa,"
Elsevier, vol. 18(S1), pages S32-S44.
- Klapper, Leora & Richmond, Christine, 2011. "Patterns of business creation, survival and growth : evidence from Africa," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5828, The World Bank.
- Jayasuriya, Dinuk, 2011. "Improvements in the World Bank's ease of doing business rankings : do they translate into greater foreign direct investment inflows ?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5787, The World Bank.
- Dinuk Jayasuriya, 2011. "Improvements in the World Bank's Ease of Doing Business Rankings: Do they translate into greater foreign direct investment inflows?," Development Policy Centre Discussion Papers 1108, Development Policy Centre, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.