Delivering service indicators in education and health in Africa : a proposal
AbstractThe Delivering Service Indicators seek to provide a set of indices for benchmarking service delivery performance in education and health in Africa in order to track progress in and across countries over time. It seeks to enhance effective and active monitoring of service delivery systems and to become an instrument of public accountability and good governance in Africa. The main perspective adopted by the Delivering Service Indicators index is one of citizens accessing services and facing potential shortcomings in those services available to them. The index is thus presented as a Service Delivery Report Card on education and health. However, unlike traditional citizen report cards, it assembles objective information from micro level surveys of service delivery units.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The World Bank in its series Policy Research Working Paper Series with number 5327.
Date of creation: 01 Jun 2010
Date of revision:
Health Monitoring&Evaluation; Governance Indicators; Public Sector Expenditure Policy; Population Policies; Education For All;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AFR-2010-06-11 (Africa)
- NEP-ALL-2010-06-11 (All new papers)
- NEP-DEV-2010-06-11 (Development)
- NEP-EDU-2010-06-11 (Education)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Filmer, Deon & Pritchett, Lant, 1999. "The impact of public spending on health: does money matter?," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 49(10), pages 1309-1323, November.
- Olken, Benjamin, 2007.
"Corruption Perceptions vs. Corruption Reality,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
6272, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Leonard, Kenneth L. & Masatu, Melkiory C., 2008.
"Moving from the lab to the field: Exploring scrutiny and duration effects in lab experiments,"
Elsevier, vol. 100(2), pages 284-287, August.
- Kenneth Leonard & Melkiory Masatu, 2007. "Moving from the lab to the field: Exploring scrutiny and duration effects in lab experiments," Natural Field Experiments 00293, The Field Experiments Website.
- Nazmul Chaudhury & Jeffrey Hammer & Michael Kremer & Karthik Muralidharan & F. Halsey Rogers, 2006. "Missing in Action: Teacher and Health Worker Absence in Developing Countries," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 20(1), pages 91-116, Winter.
- Ottar Mæstad & Gaute Torsvik & Arild Aakvik, 2009.
"Overworked? The relationship between workload and health worker performance in rural Tanzania,"
CMI Working Papers
2, CMI (Chr. Michelsen Institute), Bergen, Norway.
- Mæstad, Ottar & Torsvik, Gaute & Aakvik, Arild, 2009. "Overworked? The relationship between workload and health worker performance in rural Tanzania," Working Papers in Economics 02/09, University of Bergen, Department of Economics.
- Das, Jishnu & Hammer, Jeffrey, 2004. "Which doctor? Combining vignettes and item response to measure doctor quality," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3301, The World Bank.
- Bernard Gauthier & Waly Wane, 2008.
"Leakage of Public Resources in the Health Sector: An Empirical Investigation of Chad,"
2_2008, D.E.S. (Department of Economic Studies), University of Naples "Parthenope", Italy.
- Gauthier, Bernard & Wane, Waly, 2007. "Leakage of public resources in the health sector : an empirical investigation of Chad," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4351, The World Bank.
- Koen Decancq & María Ana Lugo, 2013.
"Weights in Multidimensional Indices of Wellbeing: An Overview,"
Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 32(1), pages 7-34, January.
- Koen DECANCQ & María Ana LUGO, 2010. "Weights in multidimensional indices of well-being: an overview," Center for Economic Studies - Discussion papers ces10.06, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centrum voor Economische Studiën.
- Decancq, Koen & Lugo, María Ana, 2010. "Weights in multidimensional indices of well-being: an overview," Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven urn:hdl:123456789/262767, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- World Bank & International Monetary Fund, 2008. "Global Monitoring Report 2008 : MDGs and the Environment, Agenda for Inclusive and Sustainable Development," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 6518.
- Esther Duflo, 2001.
"Schooling and Labor Market Consequences of School Construction in Indonesia: Evidence from an Unusual Policy Experiment,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 91(4), pages 795-813, September.
- Esther Duflo, 2000. "Schooling and Labor Market Consequences of School Construction in Indonesia: Evidence from an Unusual Policy Experiment," NBER Working Papers 7860, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jessica Cohen & Pascaline Dupas, 2008. "Free Distribution or Cost-Sharing? Evidence from a Malaria Prevention Experiment," NBER Working Papers 14406, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Anne Case & Angus Deaton, 1999. "School Inputs And Educational Outcomes In South Africa," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 114(3), pages 1047-1084, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.