China's export growth and the China safeguard : threats to the world trading system ?
AbstractIs there evidence from China's pre-WTO accession period that newly imposed U.S. or EU import restrictions deflect Chinese exports to third markets? The authors examine this question by drawing on a newly constructed data set of U.S. and EU product-level import restrictions on Chinese trade imposed between 1992 and 2001 and estimate their impact on Chinese exports to 38 alternative markets. There is no systematic evidence that the import restrictions imposed during this period resulted in Chinese exports surging to such alternate destinations. To the contrary, there is weak evidence of a chilling effect on China's exports to third markets.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The World Bank in its series Policy Research Working Paper Series with number 5291.
Date of creation: 01 May 2010
Date of revision:
Free Trade; Economic Theory&Research; Trade Policy; Trade Law; Markets and Market Access;
Other versions of this item:
- Chad P. Bown & Meredith A. Crowley, 2010. "China's export growth and the China safeguard: threats to the world trading system?," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 43(4), pages 1353-1388, November.
- F10 - International Economics - - Trade - - - General
- F12 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Models of Trade with Imperfect Competition and Scale Economies
- F13 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade Policy; International Trade Organizations
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-05-22 (All new papers)
- NEP-CNA-2010-05-22 (China)
- NEP-INT-2010-05-22 (International Trade)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Chisik, Richard, 2012.
"Trade disputes, quality choice, and economic integration,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 88(1), pages 47-61.
- Richard Chisik, 2010. "Trade Disputes, Quality Choice, and Economic Integration," Working Papers 022, Ryerson University, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.