Methods for measuring the effect of adjustment policies on income distribution
AbstractThe effect of adjustment policies on different groups in the population is an important and complex issue. The distributional implications can have a large influence on the sustainability of programs. In particular, there is a need to identify how different groups in society are affected by an adjustment program and how an alternative mix of policies would affect this outcome. This assessment will be useful for developing compensation schemes for those groups that may be negatively affected in the transitional adjustment period, and in generating support for adjustment programs. This paper reviews the methodologies that have been suggested to study the effect of adjustment on distribution and provides examples of each approach. Each method is evaluated and data requirements are described. The review provides a range of approaches to selecta method to apply to a particular country. The paper also reviews recent work on macropolicies and income distribution and provides recommendations and conclusions.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The World Bank in its series Policy Research Working Paper Series with number 474.
Date of creation: 31 Aug 1990
Date of revision:
Inequality; Achieving Shared Growth; Environmental Economics&Policies; Economic Theory&Research; Health Economics&Finance;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- François Bourguignon & William H. Branson & Jaime de Melo, 1989. "Macroeconomic Adjustment and Income Distribution: A Macro-Micro Simulation Model," OECD Development Centre Working Papers 1, OECD Publishing.
- Quizon, Jaime & Binswanger, Hans, 1986. "Modeling the Impact of Agricultural Growth and Government Policy on Income Distribution in India," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, World Bank Group, vol. 1(1), pages 103-48, September.
- Bourguignon, Francois, 1991. "Optimal Poverty Reduction, Adjustment, and Growth," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, World Bank Group, vol. 5(2), pages 315-38, May.
- Knight, J B, 1976. "Devaluation and Income Distribution in Less-Developed Economies," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 28(2), pages 208-27, July.
- Glewwe, Paul & de Tray, Dennis, 1991. "The Poor in Latin America during Adjustment: A Case Study of Peru," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 40(1), pages 27-54, October.
- Decaluwe, Bernard & Martens, Andre, 1988.
"CGE modeling and developing economies: A concise empirical survey of 73 applications to 26 countries,"
Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier,
Elsevier, vol. 10(4), pages 529-568.
- Decaluwe, B. & Martens, A., 1988. "Cge Modeling And Developing Economies: A Concise Empirical Survey Of 73 Applications To 26 Countries," Papers, Laval - Recherche en Politique Economique 8816, Laval - Recherche en Politique Economique.
- Kakwani, N., 1990. "Poverty And Economic Growth: With Application To Cote D'Ivoire," Papers, World Bank - Living Standards Measurement 63, World Bank - Living Standards Measurement.
- Ravallion, Martin, 1989. "Do price increases for staple foods help or hurt the rural poor?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 167, The World Bank.
- Bourguinon, Francois & Branson, William H. & De Melo, Jaime, 1989.
"Adjustment and income distribution : a counterfactual analysis,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
215, The World Bank.
- Francois Bourguignon & William H. Branson & Jaime de Melo, 1989. "Adjustment and Income Distribution: A Counterfactual Analysis," NBER Working Papers 2943, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bourguignon, F. & Michel, G. & Miqueu, D., 1983. "Short-run rigidities and long-run adjustments in a computable general equilibrium model of income distribution and development," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 13(1-2), pages 21-43.
- Kakwani, N., 1990. "Poverty And Economic Growth; With Application To Cote D'Ivoire," Papers, New South Wales - School of Economics 90-2, New South Wales - School of Economics.
- Anne O. Krueger, 1983. "Trade and Employment in Developing Countries, 3: Synthesis and Conclusions," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number krue83-1.
- Ethier, Wilfred J., 1984. "Higher dimensional issues in trade theory," Handbook of International Economics, Elsevier, in: R. W. Jones & P. B. Kenen (ed.), Handbook of International Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 3, pages 131-184 Elsevier.
- Mussa, Michael, 1974. "Tariffs and the Distribution of Income: The Importance of Factor Specificity, Substitutability, and Intensity in the Short and Long Run," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(6), pages 1191-1203, Nov.-Dec..
- Newman, John & Jorgensen, Steen & Pradhan, Menno, 1991. "How Did Workers Benefit from Bolivia's Emergency Social Fund?," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, World Bank Group, vol. 5(2), pages 367-93, May.
- Neary, J Peter, 1985. "Theory and Policy of Adjustment in an Open Economy," CEPR Discussion Papers, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers 61, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Edwards, Sebastian, 1988. "Terms of Trade, Tariffs, and Labor Market Adjustment in Developing Countries," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, World Bank Group, vol. 2(2), pages 165-85, May.
- Glewwe, P. & De Tray, D., 1988. "The Poor During Adjustment - A Case Study Of Cote D'Ivoire," Papers, World Bank - Living Standards Measurement 47, World Bank - Living Standards Measurement.
- Ehrhart, Christophe, 2006. "Croissance, redistribution et lutte contre la pauvreté : l’évolution non linéaire de l’approche de la Banque mondiale," L'Actualité Economique, Société Canadienne de Science Economique, Société Canadienne de Science Economique, vol. 82(4), pages 597-641, dÃ©cembre.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.