Aid, service delivery, and the millennium development goals in an economy-wide framework
AbstractIn many developing countries, achieving the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) by 2015 will require significant increases in expenditures on social services and in foreign assistance. It will also require careful planning of the sector allocation and sequencing of public spending. Especially for low-income countries, the challenges of the MDGs cannot be well understood unless sector issues are seen in the context of constraints at the macro level and in labor markets. To help countries analyze policies aimed at making progress toward the goals, the World Bank has developed a new tool, the Maquette for MDG Simulations (MAMS). Its originality is to fully integrate government services and their impact on the economy within an otherwise standard economy-wide dynamic framework. In comparison with existing approaches, MAMS offers three main advantages. First, the representation of the production of government services - such as health or education - takes into account demandas well as supply factors and the efficiency of these services. It also allows for interactions across the goals, and between the goals and economic growth. Second, it shows how scaling up these services has economy-wide impacts that may change resource allocation in the non-government sector and relative prices, including the unit cost of government services. Third, it shows the tradeoffs across time, including the relative costs and benefits, of front-loading expenditures versus back-loading. The present paper describes the basic features of MAMS and provides an illustration of its applicability for Ethiopia.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The World Bank in its series Policy Research Working Paper Series with number 4683.
Date of creation: 01 Jul 2008
Date of revision:
Economic Theory&Research; Population Policies; Health Monitoring&Evaluation; Banks&Banking Reform;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Clemens, Michael A. & Kenny, Charles J. & Moss, Todd J., 2007.
"The Trouble with the MDGs: Confronting Expectations of Aid and Development Success,"
Elsevier, vol. 35(5), pages 735-751, May.
- Michael Clemens & Charles Kenny & Todd Moss, 2004. "The Trouble with the MDGs: Confronting Expectations of Aid and Development Success," Development and Comp Systems 0405011, EconWPA.
- Michael A. Clemens & Charles J. Kenny & Todd J. Moss, 2004. "The Trouble with the MDGs: Confronting Expectations of Aid and Development Success," Working Papers 40, Center for Global Development.
- Lavy, Victor & Strauss, John & Thomas, Duncan & de Vreyer, Philippe, 1996.
"Quality of health care, survival and health outcomes in Ghana,"
Journal of Health Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 333-357, June.
- Lavy, V & Strauss, J & Thomas, D & de Vreyer, P, 1996. "Quality of Health Care, Survivial and Health Outcomes in Ghana," Papers 96-20, RAND - Reprint Series.
- Christiaensen, Luc & Scott, Christopher & Wodon, Quentin, 2002. "Development Targets and Costs," MPRA Paper 12299, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Agenor, Pierre-Richard & Bayraktar, Nihal & El Aynaoui, Karim, 2005.
"Roads out of poverty? assessing the links between aid, public investment, growth, and poverty reduction,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
3490, The World Bank.
- Agénor, Pierre-Richard & Bayraktar, Nihal & El Aynaoui, Karim, 2008. "Roads out of poverty? Assessing the links between aid, public investment, growth, and poverty reduction," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 86(2), pages 277-295, June.
- Emanuele Baldacci & Qiang Cui & Benedict J. Clements & Sanjeev Gupta, 2004. "Social Spending, Human Capital, and Growth in Developing Countries: Implications for Achieving the MDGs," IMF Working Papers 04/217, International Monetary Fund.
- Glewwe, P. & Jacoby, H., 1993. "Delayed Primary School Enrollment and Childhood Malnutrition in Ghana, an Economic Analysis," Papers 98, World Bank - Living Standards Measurement.
- Sudhir Anand & Martin Ravallion, 1993. "Human Development in Poor Countries: On the Role of Private Incomes and Public Services," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 7(1), pages 133-150, Winter.
- Sanjeev Gupta & Catherine A. Pattillo & Kevin Joseph Carey, 2005. "Sustaining Growth Accelerations and Pro-Poor Growth in Africa," IMF Working Papers 05/195, International Monetary Fund.
- Deaton, A. & Case, A., 1998.
"School Quality and Educational Outcomes in South Africa,"
184, Princeton, Woodrow Wilson School - Development Studies.
- Anne Case & Angus Deaton, 1998. "School quality and educational outcomes in South Africa," Working Papers 993, Princeton University, Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs, Center for Research on Child Wellbeing..
- Pierre-Richard Agénor & Nihal Bayraktar & Emmanuel Pinto Moreira & Karim El Aynaoui, 2006.
"Achieving the Millennium Development Goals in Sub-Saharan Africa: A Macroeconomic Monitoring Framework,"
The World Economy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 29(11), pages 1519-1547, November.
- Agenor, Pierre-Richard & Bayraktar, Nihal & Pinto Moreira, Emmanuel & El Aynaoui, Karim, 2005. "Achieving the Millennium Development Goals in Sub-Saharan Africa : a macroeconomic monitoring framework," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3750, The World Bank.
- Markandya, Anil & Setboonsarng, Sununtar & Hui, Qiao Yu & Songkranok, Rachanee & Stefan, Adam, 2010.
"The Costs of Achieving the Millennium Development Goals through Adopting Organic Agriculture,"
ADBI Working Papers
193, Asian Development Bank Institute.
- Anil Markandya & Sununtar Setboonsarng & Qiao Yu Hui & Rachanee Songkranok & Adam Stefan, 2010. "The Costs of Achieving the Millennium Development Goals through Adopting Organic Agriculture," Development Economics Working Papers 23015, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Anil Markandya & Sununtar Setboonsarng & Qiao Yu Hui & Adam Stefan, 2011. "The Costs of Achieving the Millennium Development Goals through Adopting Organic Agriculture," Working Papers id:4395, eSocialSciences.
- World Bank, 2011. "Uganda - Demography and Economic Growth in Uganda," World Bank Other Operational Studies 2811, The World Bank.
- Lofgren, Hans & Nielsen, Hannah & Ezemenari, Kene, 2009. "Scaling up aid or scaling down : the global economic crisis and Rwanda's MDGs," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4958, The World Bank.
- Carolina Díaz-Bonilla & Hans Lofgren & Martin Cicowiez, 2008. "Public Policies for the MDGs: The Case of the Dominican Republic," CEDLAS, Working Papers 0072, CEDLAS, Universidad Nacional de La Plata.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.