Broadening the offering choice of corporate bonds in emerging markets : cost-effective access to debt capital
AbstractThe development of corporate bond markets has been constrained in many emerging economies, partly because the regulatory model is implicitly designed for stand-alone public offerings. Corporate bonds are intrinsically more suitable for non-retail investors than for retail investors. Nonetheless, the prevailing regulatory model puts an excessive emphasis on disclosure and investor protection as well as government oversight, regardless of targeted investors. Such a non-differentiating regulatory approach disconnects issuers from investors by considerably raising opportunity costs to issuers. Broadening the choice of offering methods would lower corporate bond issuance costs, thereby allowing more issuers to finance their investments with bond issues. Additional forms of offerings are traditional private placements, institutional offerings, and shelf registration facilitated by integrated disclosure.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The World Bank in its series Policy Research Working Paper Series with number 4655.
Date of creation: 01 Jun 2008
Date of revision:
Debt Markets; Emerging Markets; Deposit Insurance; Microfinance;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-09-13 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mark Carey S. & Stephen Prowse & John Rea & Gregory Udell, 1993. "The economics of the private placement market," Staff Studies 166, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- World Bank & International Monetory Fund, 2001. "Developing Government Bond Markets : A Handbook," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 13865, October.
- Smith, Clifford Jr., 1986. "Investment banking and the capital acquisition process," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(1-2), pages 3-29.
- Friedman, Felice B. & Grose, Claire, 2006. "Promoting access to primary equity markets : a legal and regulatory approach," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3892, The World Bank.
- Amadou N. R. Sy, 2007. "Local Currency Debt Markets in the West African Economic and Monetary Union," IMF Working Papers 07/256, International Monetary Fund.
- Thomas Reininger & Franz Schardax & Martin Summer, 2002.
"Financial System Transition in Central Europe: The First Decades,"
SUERF - The European Money and Finance Forum, number 16 edited by Morten Balling.
- by Thomas Reininger & Franz Schardax & Martin Summer, 2002. "Financial System Transition in Central Europe: The First Decade," Chapters in SUERF Studies, SUERF - The European Money and Finance Forum.
- Blackwell, David W. & Kidwell, David S., 1988. "An investigation of cost differences between public sales and private placements of debt," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 253-278, December.
- Berlin, Mitchell & Mester, Loretta J., 1992.
"Debt covenants and renegotiation,"
Journal of Financial Intermediation,
Elsevier, vol. 2(2), pages 95-133, June.
- Augusto de la Torre & Sergio L. Schmukler, 2007. "Emerging Capital Markets and Globalization : The Latin American Experience," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 7187, October.
- Simon H. Kwan & Willard T. Carleton, 1995. "The role of private placement debt issues in corporate finance," Working Papers in Applied Economic Theory 95-13, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Guorong Jiang & Robert McCauley, 2004. "Asian local currency bond markets," BIS Quarterly Review, Bank for International Settlements, June.
- Augusto de la Torre & Sergio Schmukler, . "Emerging Capital Markets and Globalization: The Latin American Experience," IDB Publications 59498, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Allen, David S & Lamy, Robert E & Thompson, G Rodney, 1990. " The Shelf Registration of Debt and Self Selection Bias," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 45(1), pages 275-87, March.
- Pipat Luengnaruemitchai & Li L. Ong, 2005. "An Anatomy of Corporate Bond Markets," IMF Working Papers 05/152, International Monetary Fund.
- Susan Chaplinsky & Latha Ramchand, 2004. "The Impact of SEC Rule 144A on Corporate Debt Issuance by International Firms," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 77(4), pages 1073-1098, October.
- Kidwell, David S. & Marr, M. Wayne & Thompson, G. Rodney, 1984. "SEC Rule 415: The Ultimate Competitive Bid," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 19(02), pages 183-195, June.
- Miles Livingston & Lei Zhou, 2002. "The Impact of Rule 144A Debt Offerings Upon Bond Yields and Underwriter Fees," Financial Management, Financial Management Association, vol. 31(4), Winter.
- Dennis Emerick & William White, 1992. "The Case For Private Placements: How Sophisticated Investors Add Value To Corporate Debt Issuers," Journal of Applied Corporate Finance, Morgan Stanley, vol. 5(3), pages 83-91.
- Roque B. Fernández & Sergio Pernice & Jorge M. Streb, 2007. "Determinants of the development of corporate bond markets in Argentina: One size does not fit all," CEMA Working Papers: Serie Documentos de Trabajo. 348, Universidad del CEMA.
- Bank for International Settlements, 2001. "The changing shape of fixed income markets: a collection of studies by central bank economists," BIS Papers, Bank for International Settlements, number 05, July.
- Smith, Clifford Jr. & Warner, Jerold B., 1979. "On financial contracting : An analysis of bond covenants," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(2), pages 117-161, June.
- Blackwell, David W. & Marr, M. Wayne & Spivey, Michael F., 1990. "Shelf Registration and the Reduced Due Diligence Argument: Implications of the Underwriter Certification and the Implicit Insurance Hypotheses," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 25(02), pages 245-259, June.
- Jensen, Michael C. & Meckling, William H., 1976. "Theory of the firm: Managerial behavior, agency costs and ownership structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 305-360, October.
- Peter Szilagyi & Jonathan Batten & Thomas Fetherston, 2003. "Disintermediation and the Development of Bond Markets in Emerging Europe," International Journal of the Economics of Business, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(1), pages 67-82.
- Russ, Katheryn N. & Valderrama, Diego, 2012. "A theory of bank versus bond finance and intra-industry reallocation," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 652-673.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.