Cocaine production and trafficking : what do we know ?
AbstractThe main purpose of this paper is to summarize the information currently available on cocaine production and trafficking. The paper starts by describing the available data on cocaine production and trade, the collection methodologies (if available) used by different sources, the main biases in the data, and the accuracy of different data sources. Next, it states some of the key empirical questions and hypotheses regarding cocaine production and trade and takes a first look at how well the data match these hypotheses. The paper states some of the main puzzles in the cocaine market and studies some of the possible explanations. These puzzles and empirical questions should guide future research on the key determinants of illicit drug production and trafficking. Finally, the paper studies the different policies that producer countries have adopted to fight against cocaine production and the role consumer countries play in the implementation of anti-drug policies.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The World Bank in its series Policy Research Working Paper Series with number 4618.
Date of creation: 01 May 2008
Date of revision:
Health Monitoring&Evaluation; Environmental Economics&Policies; Crime and Society; Crops&Crop Management Systems; Economic Theory&Research;
Other versions of this item:
- Daniel Mejía & Carlos Esteban Posada, . "Cocaine Production and Trafficking: What do we know?," Borradores de Economia 444, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Daniel Mejía & Carlos E. Posada, 2007. "Cocaine Production and Trafficking: What do we know?," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 003955, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- K42 - Law and Economics - - Legal Procedure, the Legal System, and Illegal Behavior - - - Illegal Behavior and the Enforcement of Law
- C81 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Data Collection and Data Estimation Methodology; Computer Programs - - - Methodology for Collecting, Estimating, and Organizing Microeconomic Data; Data Access
- H56 - Public Economics - - National Government Expenditures and Related Policies - - - National Security and War
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Frank J. Chaloupka & Michael Grossman & John A. Tauras, 1999.
"The Demand for Cocaine and Marijuana by Youth,"
in: The Economic Analysis of Substance Use and Abuse: An Integration of Econometrics and Behavioral Economic Research, pages 133-156
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Becker, Gary S & Murphy, Kevin M, 1988.
"A Theory of Rational Addiction,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 96(4), pages 675-700, August.
- Gary S. Becker & Kevin M. Murphy, 1986. "A Theory of Rational Addiction," University of Chicago - George G. Stigler Center for Study of Economy and State 41, Chicago - Center for Study of Economy and State.
- Jeff DeSimone & Matthew C. Farrelly, 2003.
"Price and Enforcement Effects on Cocaine and Marijuana Demand,"
Western Economic Association International, vol. 41(1), pages 98-115, January.
- Jeff DeSimone & Matthew C. Farrelly, . "Price and Enforcement Effects on Cocaine and Marijuana Demand," Working Papers 0101, East Carolina University, Department of Economics.
- Daniel Mejía, 2008.
"The War on Illegal Drugs in Producer and Consumer Countries: A Simple Analytical Framework,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
2459, CESifo Group Munich.
- Daniel Mejia & Pascual Restrepo, 2011. "The War on Illegal Drugs in Producer and Consumer Countries: A simple analytical framework," DOCUMENTOS CEDE 007960, UNIVERSIDAD DE LOS ANDES-CEDE.
- Juan Carlos Muñoz-Mora & Santiago Tobón-Zapata & Jesse d'Anjou, 2014.
"Does land titling matter? The role of land property rights in the war on illicit crops in Colombia,"
HiCN Working Papers
168, Households in Conflict Network.
- Juan Carlos Munoz Mora & Santiago Tobon-Zapata & Jesse Willem D'Anjou, 2014. "Does Land Titling Matter ?The Role of Land Property Rights in the War on Illicit Crops in Colombia," Working Papers ECARES ECARES 2014-11, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Gerson Javier Pérez V., 2012.
"Goals Met or Just Empty Promises? First Version of the Democratic Security Policy in Colombia,"
BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA
009408, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Gerson Javier Pérez V., 2012. "Goals Met or Just Empty Promises? First Version of the Democratic Security Policy in Colombia," Borradores de Economia 700, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- International Monetary Fund, 2011. "The Relationship Between Illicit Coca Production and Formal Economic Activity in Peru," IMF Working Papers 11/182, International Monetary Fund.
- Gerson Javier Perez, 2012.
"Primera versión de la política de seguridad democrática: se cumplieron los objetivos?,"
REVISTA DE ECONOMÍA DEL ROSARIO,
UNIVERSIDAD DEL ROSARIO.
- Gerson Javier Pérez Valbuena, 2012. "Primera versión de la Política de Seguridad Democrática: Se cumplieron los objetivos?," DOCUMENTOS DE TRABAJO SOBRE ECONOMÃA REGIONAL 009385, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA - ECONOMÍA REGIONAL.
- Botero Degiovanni, Hernan, 2013. "The Effects of Drug Enforcement on Violence in Colombia 1999-2010: A Spatial Econometric Approach," MPRA Paper 49459, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- L. Leoncini & F. Rentocchini, 2010. "Counteracting cocaine production. An analysis based on a novel dataset," Working Papers 693, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Leonardo Raffo López, 2010. "Narcotráfico y conflicto: ¿por qué bajó el precio de la cocaína?," Revista de Economía Institucional, Universidad Externado de Colombia - Facultad de Economía, vol. 12(23), pages 229-258, July-Dece.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.