Accessibility and affordability of tertiary education in Brazil, Colombia, Mexico and Peru within a global context
AbstractThis paper examines the financing of tertiary education in Brazil, Colombia, Mexico and Peru, comparing the affordability and accessibility of tertiary education with that in high-income countries. To measure affordability, the authors estimate education costs, living costs, grants, and loans. Further, they compute the participation rate, attainment rate, and socio-economic equity index in education and the gender equity index as indicators of accessibility. This is the first study attempting to estimate affordability of tertiary education in Latin America within a global context. The analysis combines information from household surveys, expenditure surveys, and administrative and institutional databases. The findings show that families in Latin America have to pay 60 percent of per-capita income for tertiary education per student per year compared with 19 percent in high-income countries. Living costs are significant, at 29 percent of gross domestic product per capita in Latin America (19 percent in high-income countries). Student assistance through grants and loans plays a marginal role in improving affordability. Moreover, the paper confirms previous findings of low access to tertiary education in the region. One policy implication of the findings is that Latin American governments could take steps to make tertiary education more affordable through student assistance.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The World Bank in its series Policy Research Working Paper Series with number 4517.
Date of creation: 01 Feb 2008
Date of revision:
Tertiary Education; Access&Equity in Basic Education; Access to Finance; Teaching and Learning;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-02-23 (All new papers)
- NEP-DEV-2008-02-23 (Development)
- NEP-EDU-2008-02-23 (Education)
- NEP-HRM-2008-02-23 (Human Capital & Human Resource Management)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sanchez-Paramo, Carolina & Schady, Norbert, 2003. "Off and running? Technology, trade and the rising demand for skilled workers in Latin America," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3015, The World Bank.
- Canton, Erik & Blom, Andreas, 2004. "Can student loans improve accessibility to higher education and student performance? An impact study of the case of SOFES, Mexico," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3425, The World Bank.
- David De Ferranti & Guillermo E. Perry & Indermit Gill & J. Luis Guasch & William F. Maloney & Carolina Sanchez-Paramo & Norbert Schady, 2003. "Closing the Gap in Education and Technology," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 15168, August.
- World Bank, 2002. "World Development Indicators 2002," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 13921, August.
- Mariana Alfonso, 2009. "Credit Constraints and the Demand for Higher Education in Latin America," IDB Publications 9314, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Mikolaj Herbst & Jakub Rok, 2011. "Equity of access to higher education in the transforming economy. Evidence from Poland," Investigaciones de Economía de la Educación volume 6, Asociación de Economía de la Educación, in: Antonio Caparrós Ruiz (ed.), Investigaciones de Economía de la Educación 6, edition 1, volume 6, chapter 29, pages 475-494 Asociación de Economía de la Educación.
- Niëns, L.M. & Brouwer, W.B.F., 2013. "Measuring the affordability of medicines: Importance and challenges," Health Policy, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 112(1), pages 45-52.
- Herbst, Mikolaj & Rok, Jakub, 2011. "Equity in an educational boom: Lessons from the expansion and marketization of tertiary schooling in Poland," MPRA Paper 33795, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Tham, Siew Yean, 2011. "Exploring Access and Equity in Malaysia’s Private Higher Education," ADBI Working Papers, Asian Development Bank Institute 280, Asian Development Bank Institute.
- Channon, Andrew Amos & Andrade, Monica Viegas & Noronha, Kenya & Leone, Tiziana & Dilip, T.R., 2012. "Inpatient care of the elderly in Brazil and India: Assessing social inequalities," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 75(12), pages 2394-2402.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.