Russian WTO accession : what has been accomplished, what can be expected
AbstractThis paper summarizes the principal reform commitments that Russia has undertaken as part of its World Trade Organization (WTO) accession negotiations, providing detailed assessments in banking, insurance, and agriculture. The paper assesses the gains to the Russian economy from these commitments, based on a summary of several modeling efforts undertaken by the author and his colleagues. The author compares Russian commitments with those of other countries that have recently acceded to the WTO to assess the claim that the demands on Russia are excessive due to political considerations. He explains why Russian WTO accession will result in the elimination of the Jackson-Vanik Amendment against Russia. Finally, he discussesthe remaining issues in the negotiations and the time frame for Russian accession as of the fall of 2007.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The World Bank in its series Policy Research Working Paper Series with number 4428.
Date of creation: 01 Dec 2007
Date of revision:
World Trade Organization; Debt Markets; Emerging Markets; Economic Theory&Research; Free Trade;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-12-15 (All new papers)
- NEP-CIS-2007-12-15 (Confederation of Independent States)
- NEP-TRA-2007-12-15 (Transition Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Michalopoulos, Constantine & Tarr, David, 1997. "The economics of customs unions in the Commonwealth of Independent States," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1786, The World Bank.
- Oleksandr Shepotylo & David Tarr, 2008. "Specific Tariffs, Tariff Simplification, and the Structure of Import Tariffs in Russia, 2001-2005," Eastern European Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 46(5), pages 47-56, September.
- Rutherford, Thomas & Tarr, David & Shepotylo, Oleksandr, 2005. "The impact on Russia of WTO accession and the Doha agenda : the importance of liberalization of barriers against foreign direct investment in services for growth and poverty reduction," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3725, The World Bank.
- Jensen, Jesper & Rutherford, Thomas & Tarr, David, 2005. "Telecommunications reform within Russia's accession to the World Trade Organization," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3501, The World Bank.
- Tarr David G., 1994. "The Terms-of-Trade Effects of Moving to World Prices on Countries of the Former Soviet Union," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 1-24, February.
- Jesper Jensen & Thomas Rutherford & David Tarr, 2007.
"The Impact of Liberalizing Barriers to Foreign Direct Investment in Services: The Case of Russian Accession to the World Trade Organization,"
Review of Development Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 11(3), pages 482-506, 08.
- Jensen, Jesper & Rutherford, Thomas & Tarr, David, 2004. "The impact of liberalizing barriers to foreign direct investment in services - the case of Russian accession to the World Trade Organization," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3391, The World Bank.
- Tarr, David G., 1993. "How moving to world prices affects the terms of trade in 15 countries of the former Soviet Union," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1074, The World Bank.
- Aaditya Mattoo, 2003. "China's Accession to the WTO: The Services Dimension," Journal of International Economic Law, Oxford University Press, vol. 6(2), pages 299-339, June.
- World Bank, 2011. "Russia : Reshaping Economic Geography," World Bank Other Operational Studies 13052, The World Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.