Exchange rate policy in developing countries
AbstractA distinction can be made between two approaches to exchange rate policy in developing countries. The"real targets"and the"nominal anchor"approach. Part I of this report gives an overview of the two approaches and the assumptions they imply. Part II expounds the"real targets"approach and its implications in some detail. This is really the approach that is now orthodox. Part III expounds the"nominal anchor"approach and its implications, and considers to what extent it might explain the low inflation experiences of the many countries where exchange rates have been (more or less) fixed for long periods. Part IV considers the implications of increasing capital mobility for exchange rate policy, and Part V has some conclusions for policy. The paper draws on examples of exchange rate policies and experiences of a group of seventeen developing countries.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The World Bank in its series Policy Research Working Paper Series with number 412.
Date of creation: 30 Apr 1990
Date of revision:
Economic Stabilization; Macroeconomic Management; Economic Theory&Research; Environmental Economics&Policies; Fiscal&Monetary Policy;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Prema-chandra Athukorala & Sarath Rajapatirana, 1991.
"The Domestic Financial Market and the Trade Liberalization Outcome: The Evidence from Sri Lanka,"
Research Papers, School of Economics, La Trobe University
1991.01, School of Economics, La Trobe University.
- Athukorala, Premachandra & Rajapatirana, Sarath, 1991. "The domestic financial market and the trade liberalization outcome : the evidence from Sri Lanka," Policy Research Working Paper Series 590, The World Bank.
- Eugenio Diaz Bonilla & Hector E. Schamis, 1999. "La economía política de las políticas de cambio en Argentina," Research Department Publications, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department 3079, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Devarajan, Shantayanan & Rodrik, Dani, 1991.
"Do the benefits of fixed exchange rates outweigh their costs? The Franc Zone in Africa,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
777, The World Bank.
- Shantayanan Devarajan & Dani Rodrik, 1991. "Do the Benefits of Fixed Exchange Rates Outweigh Their Costs? The Franc Zone in Africa," NBER Working Papers 3727, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Eugenio Diaz Bonilla & Hector E. Schamis, 1999. "The Political Economy of Exchange Rate Policies in Argentina," Research Department Publications, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department 3078, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.